Proposed IRT Joint Statement with ALAC

Fouad Bajwa fouadbajwa at GMAIL.COM
Wed Jun 24 17:10:01 CEST 2009

Hi Kathy,

The statement is very elaborate and raises the right concerns. It is
interesting how various lobby groups want to use the ICANN platform to
gather and do something that is WIPO's headache in the form of the
GPML. Its just trying to reinvent a busted and rusted wheel. It can be
done, the world hasn't reached to the stage of maturity of forming and
agreeing to universally acceptable governance models. It seems to make
a mark in the multilateral system whereas they themselves have no
recognition over the protection of trademarks.

It is also worth noting here, that these groups want to establish an
IPR protection model above the state laws of all the countries
involved within the IPR regime protection. Todate, no universally
accepted IPR model exists and all are under debate or flames globally.

There is a need for the ALAC and NCUC to once again knock some sense
in to these people that try to spill over from ICANN's true terms of
incorporation and activities. ICANN and its lobbies from the business
sector are already disputed enough and such initiatives only tend to
move ICANN away from its actual work.

In my language they call it "Jheenga-Mushti" like prawns and shrimps
wrestling together over something of no importance. ICANN trying to
tread on other organizations work that exist through multilateral
treaties is a big no no especially when it itself has not been
democratised to the level of globally open, inclusive and independent
governance of the domain name and ip systems.

Once again, good go!

--

Regards.