Fwd: SIC Revisions to Stakeholder Group Charter

Carlos Afonso ca at RITS.ORG.BR
Tue Jun 23 02:06:33 CEST 2009

The ammended doc by SIC has significantly altered the original proposal,
from principles/mission to procedures. (see the example below, regarding
mission and principles). I stand by my proposal to reject the current
SIC ammendments and continue the discussion towards a consensus proposal.

--c.a.

The original version:

1.0 Mission and Principles
1.1 Mission
The Noncommercial Users Stakeholders Group ("NCSG") of ICANN's Generic
Name Supporting
Organization (GNSO) is constituted according to Article X, Section 5,
Part 1e of the Bylaws of the
Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN). The
purposes of the NCSG are
to represent the views and interests of those who engage in
noncommercial expression and activity
on the Internet as they pertain to domain name policy. It provides a
voice and representation in
ICANN processes to: non-profit organizations that serve non-commercial
interests; nonprofit
services such as education, community organizing, promotion of the arts,
public interest policy
advocacy, children's welfare, religion, scientific research, and human
rights; families or individuals
who register domain names for noncommercial personal use; and Internet
users who are primarily
concerned with the noncommercial, public interest aspects of domain name
policy and are not
represented in ICANN through membership in another Supporting
Organization or GNSO
Stakeholder Group.
1.2 Principles
The NCSG is committed to the following governance principles:
a) Nondiscriminatory and impartial application of rules. The NCSG is
intended to provide a
representational vehicle for all noncommercial stakeholders; no
noncommercial organization or
noncommercial individual should be denied membership and no constituency
or coalition within it
denied the right to participate and associate on the basis of their
political views or policy positions,
or on the basis of their religious belief (or lack thereof), national
origin, gender, sexual orientation, race
or ethnicity.
b) Transparency. Meetings of the Policy Committee must be announced in
advance and
participation details made available to eligible participants in a
timely fashion. Minutes of the
meetings must be released to the membership in a timely fashion.
Discussions on NCSG’s general
email list shall be publicly archived. Financial reports will be
available to members within 30 days of
receipt of the member’s request.
DRAFT Stakeholder Group Petition
and Charter 3
c) Service standards for elected officers. NCSG officers hold a
collective trust and are expected to be
fair and responsible stewards of the group’s activities. The Chair in
particular is expected to look
after the general interests of the Stakeholder Group and to be
responsive to all members and officers
in their requests for information. Term limits and regular elections, as
well as removal procedures for
nonperforming or corrupt officers, are intended to keep officers
accountable and responsive.
d) Equality of participation. The NCSG is based on an integrated voting
model and a unified
administrative structure. This is done to facilitate the achievement of
consensus among
noncommercial stakeholders and to ensure that all members have the same
access to information and
the same voting power regardless of which subgroup or constituency they
are affiliated with.
e) Encourage Consensus. The NCSG model seeks to encourage communication,
cooperation, and
consensus building among an extremely broad range of noncommercial
interests by holding GNSO
Council elections open to the entire SG membership. This will ensure
that candidates must appeal to
a wide range of interests within the SG and attempt to build consensus
among competing views for
support.

The SIC-ammended version:

1.0	Mission and Principles
1.1	Mission.  The purpose of the Non-Commercial Stakeholder Group (NCSG)
is to represent, through its Constituencies, non-commercial Internet
users of Generic Top-level Domains (gTLDs), including without limitation:
1.1.1	Non-commercial entities such as educational institutions, research
organizations, philanthropic organizations, foundations, and
non-commercial service providers;
1.1.2	Registrants of domain names for non-commercial purposes; and
1.1.3	Entities advocating for non-commercial Internet users.
1.2	Principles for Leaders and Member Constituencies.  The NCSG is
committed to:
1.2.1	Carrying out its mission in a fair, open, and transparent manner
and ensuring that new participants and Constituencies (a) are treated on
a fair and equitable basis, and (b) can readily access and understand
its operations and processes;
1.2.2	Service standards for leadership positions including impartiality,
accountability, and avoidance of conflicts of interest; and
1.2.3	Behavioral expectations of all NCSG Members, including without
limitation: adhering to ICANN Bylaws/Policies; supporting the bottom-up
consensus model; treating others with dignity, respect, courtesy, and
civility; listening attentively and seeking to and understand others;
acting with honesty, sincerity, and integrity; and maintaining community
good standing.

--c.a.