GNSO working group

Robin Gross robin at IPJUSTICE.ORG
Thu Jun 18 21:34:32 CEST 2009

OMG!   I'm shocked 'criticism as abuse' got so far into a proposal.
It has to be knocked out as it does contradict well-established law
and violate free expression rights.

And I also agree that the careless cease and desist and takedown
notices sent by trademark holders using the whois data is another
abuse.  The Chilling Effects website is a complete catalogue of this
type of abuse.  I also thought that abuse needed to be added to this
list.

It will be difficult for any single person to take on the IPC and BC
and their dozens of (paid lobbyist) participants in this working
group to get these points across with no other support.  We need to
populate this working group with more participants and we need to
work with the registries and the registrars to bring this proposal
back in line with the law.

Do we have any volunteers to join this group and help Edward fight
for non-commercial interests in this policy's development?

Thanks!
Robin

On Jun 18, 2009, at 12:20 PM, Milton L Mueller wrote:

> Wow. I just noticed that the list of abuses contains “gripe/
> commentary” sites. In other words, this is an attempt to define
> free expression and commentary using trademarked names as an abuse
> – it is just an attempt to stifle criticism.
>
> Edward, that has to go. First, it does not represent well-
> established positions of this constituency; second it is literally
> ILLEGAL under U.S.law – it is well settled case law now that the
> use of trademarked names in grip domains is legal and protected by
> the First Amendment.

IP JUSTICE
Robin Gross, Executive Director
p: +1-415-553-6261    f: +1-415-462-6451
w: http://www.ipjustice.org     e: robin at ipjustice.org