Charter drafts - and the related process so far => NCUC/ALAC

William Drake william.drake at GRADUATEINSTITUTE.CH
Sat Jul 25 08:59:46 CEST 2009

Good morning,

On Jul 24, 2009, at 9:31 PM, Milton L Mueller wrote:

> Bill, stop writing to this list and send it to the public comment
> list. Just cut and paste. It will have a devastating effect on their
> Big Lie.

It's closed now, but I just looked at your post on the PC space and I
think it's fair to say you covered the main points with aplomb, hoss.
Ouch!

Probably not going to help build NCUC-ALAC cooperation at the
leadership level, but then again I see no real interest from that side
anyway.  The question is, is there any possibility that this could
help stir some rumblings from bellow over there, or is the pull of
inertia just too much?  If you actually read the ALAC list there are a
lot of progressive, like-minded people in ALAC who agree with our
broad orientation on many fronts.  I simply cannot understand why they
allow top down, undemocratic expressions of what "we" think based on
little to no actual dialogue and general megalomania.  It's like
freakin ISOC!  Is everyone just too busy to give a damn?  Conflict
averse?  Bought off by free travel, copious staff support, etc (oops,
sorry, did I say that out loud)?

Entirely hypothetical comparison: If Robin started parading around
behaving in the same manner, I strongly suspect there'd be revolt and
a change of leadership.

To the extent that ALAC is held up by ICANN as the "good" CS
contingent worth listening to and supporting, unlike us
"uncooperative" types, and we are told that it's our duty to involve
at large people in the NCSG and our fault if they don't choose to do
so, this turf-based power gaming could be an ongoing problem for the
NCSG.

And yes I know this is a public list.

Bill

>>> for continuing dysfunctionality today.  Indeed, when we have tried