Charter drafts - and the related process so far

Konstantinos Komaitis k.komaitis at STRATH.AC.UK
Fri Jul 24 00:14:35 CEST 2009

Mine is in too.

Konstantinos

FYI

Dear ICANN,
It is with great disappointment to see the ICANN Board suggesting a
structure for
the Non-Commercial Users Constituency (NCUC), which is a result of top-down
rather than bottom-up coordination. I am also dismayed by the fact that NCUC
was the only constituency having been asked to amend its charter so as all
other
constituencies within ICANN did not feel threatened by the support NCUC has
been receiving over the years. Why else would you ask NCUC to amend a
charter
that has been signed and supported by approximately 80 organizations and
individual users across the five regions of the world?
The new model you have suggested is highly problematic and you know it. It
is as
if ICANN wishes to create within NCUC ­ the only non-commercial constituency
within ICANN able to preserve human rights and non-commercial interests ­ an
internal conflict, which will, subsequently, disunite its members. The
strength of
the NCUC is that, despite the fact that sometimes we may share different
priorities and approaches, in essence, we ­ as one, conjoined unit, advocate
and
support the same philosophy: the protection of non-commercial interests on
the
Internet. We are the civil society in ICANN and our job is to promote the
needs of
individual users, as expressed by themselves and their representatives. What
we
all share in common in NCUC is that we want to balance the influence of
commercial interests within ICANN and engage in an active dialogue with the
other constituencies. We want to find the best possible solutions for the
Chinese
blogger who fights for his voice to be heard, the child who is daily exposed
various illegal Internet activities, the parents who are concerned about
their
children ­ we are here to talk about all those people who should be our
first
priority ­ the simple Internet user. The charter we originally proposed
would
ensure that all voices within the NCUC would be heard; our charter promoted
transparency and dialogue; it sought to bring together than distance our
philosophies ­ isn¹t that what democracy is all about?
You have to understand that our vision for NCUC is not driven by commercial
interests and monies. We have tried to come up with the most democratic
solution that will represent and respect the views of all parties concerned.
And, I
believe we have achieved it. Look at the support that our charter has
received ­
you cannot possibly overlook that. We are reasonable and our proposals are
equally reasonable. The fact that they do not conform to other interest
groups
within ICANN is unfortunate but, at the same time, it is not a legitimate
justification for rejecting and re-writing our proposed charter.
I strongly urge you to re-consider the benefits of NCUC¹s proposal.
Rejecting our
proposal will result in transmogrifying a constituency, currently operating
under
democratic and just procedures, into a body, where lobbying will
proliferate. The
way you have envisioned NCUC, we will have to spend all our efforts in
political
maneuvering rather than in tackling contentious and fundamental issues that
are
of great concern to all of us. We can really help you, if you let NCUC and
its
members continue to do their jobs with the same passion and principles.
Thank you.
Sincerely Yours,
Dr. Konstantinos Komaitis
NCUC Member