"Bottom-up" Principle Violations within ICANN

Alex Gakuru gakuru at GMAIL.COM
Thu Jul 23 08:44:41 CEST 2009

Dear all,

My name is Alex Gakuru, a member of the Non-Commercial Users
Constituency whom endorsed the NCSG charter that had been drafted by
civil society in a "bottom-up" consensus process and submitted to
ICANN by NCUC in March, 2009.

Concerned by the manner in which ICANN staff have discarded our civil
society draft, once again, negating sacred the bottom-up consensus
principle from within ICANN. Internet users fund ICANN's operational
existence to work for us. You are the duty bearers here to us - the
rights holders. You owe us the obligation to listen to us and publicly
reflect it on all your operations, activities and reports. Otherwise,
I fear if the sacred “bottom-up” principle was discarded and i was
never aware.

It is my considered view that this is a very serious governance issue
that concerns my constituency members and I hope that ICANN will
address it with the importance, seriousness, and the urgency that it
deserves.

Sincerely,

Alex Gakuru
NCUC member,