new NCUC - Ning website

William Drake william.drake at GRADUATEINSTITUTE.CH
Sun Jul 5 10:15:58 CEST 2009

Hi Robin,

Nice site, thanks for putting it together, I didn't realize we were
doing this.  Three quick questions:

1. What's the envisioned relationship between this and what you call
the "legacy" site at  http://ncuc.syr.edu?  Are you planning on
migrating the material from the latter and making this the "official"
site linked to from http://gnso.icann.org/non-commercial?  In which
case I assume we'd want to configure things so one doesn't have to be
a member and log in to see list of members and other information, as
now?  Or are you thinking we'd keep the syr site for general public
info and just use this one for our internal coordination?

2. Assuming the GNSO restructuring happens within the next few months,
my understanding has been that NCUC per se goes away and its members
will hopefully launch more specialized constituencies.  If so, then
the new site would seem to have a rather short shelf life, which could
raise questions about the utility of putting in a lot time building
it.  Or would we then migrate the new material into the NCSG site?

3. Which raises a broader question I've never thought about...what
happens with SG sites once they're born?  While in practical terms
current NCUC members will constitute the lion's share of the SG in the
near-term, alongside perhaps a cyber-censorship constituency, in
formal terms we are not the SG.  So who will build and manage the NCSG
site?  Is the expectation that once constituencies are formed, SG
elections are held, and governance arrangements established the new
groupings will each launch new sites wherever they want to be managed
as they want?  Or is ICANN expecting to have some sort of hand in
this...?

Probably there are simple answers here, I've just never heard anyone
say what is supposed to happen...

Thanks,

Bill

On Jul 4, 2009, at 7:09 PM, Robin Gross wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> NCUC is setting up a new website so we can encourage more robust
> discussion and information sharing among our members.
>
> I'd like to ask each member to please sign-in and set up a member-
> page at our new website:
>   http://icann-ncuc.ning.com/main/authorization/signUp
> The site is still under-development, so if you have any suggestions
> for improvement, please let me or Brenden know.  (And huge thanks to
> Brenden for the work in creating this site so far!)
>
> This new website will be the main place where members can develop
> policy positions and strategy for advocating them.  So please join
> the site today  -- and encourage other interested people to join.
>
> Thank you!
>
> Best,
> Robin
>

> IP JUSTICE
> Robin Gross, Executive Director
> p: +1-415-553-6261    f: +1-415-462-6451
> w: http://www.ipjustice.org     e: robin at ipjustice.org

William J. Drake
Senior Associate
Centre for International Governance