nonprofit radio station disability program weighs in on NCSG charter issue to ICANN

Robin Gross robin at IPJUSTICE.ORG
Thu Jul 23 21:12:53 CEST 2009

I haven't seen the below comment from nonprofit radio station KPFA's
Disability Program post yet to the ICANN site (cc'd to me), but I
wanted to share it with the group.

Begin forwarded message:

> From: Adrienne Lauby <adrienne at sonic.net>
> Date: July 23, 2009 8:37:56 AM PDT
> To: gnso-stakeholder-charters at icann.org
> Cc: robin at ipjustice.org
> Subject: ICANN  Draft Charter
>
> Dear ICANN,
>
> I do not believe this current draft will be either effective
> or useful.  I implore you to return to the NCUC draft
> which was written and supported by many non-commercial
> organizations and individuals.
>
> Noncommercial users have been fighting for years to obtain
> parity with commercial users in the GNSO policy development
> process at ICANN.  The planned "constituency-based" structure
> would stranglehold noncommercial users and
> discourage consensus building and cooperation among
> competing constituencies.  The "constituency-based" voting
> it proposes creates a constant zero-sum struggle
> between noncommercial constituencies, rendering the
> entire Non-Commercial Stakeholder Group ineffective
> in ICANN policy development.
>
> I am a non-commercial internet user, both as an individual
> and as a non-commercial producer of audio content.
> I support the Consensus Charter for a NonCommercial
> Users Stakeholder Group Submitted by NCUC.
>
> Noncommercial users of the internet built much of the
> conceptional base of the internet.  Much of the creativity
> of current web protocols was pioneered by noncommercial
> users.  Noncommercial users continue to provide the
> proving ground, and frequently the basic ideas, used
> by successful commercial internet developers.
>
> To ignore those of us who care enough to work
> at the policy level at GNSO and to marginalize
> our community, is not only ethically questionable,
> but it harms the future best interest of us all.
>
> Sincerely,
> Adrienne Lauby
> =================
> Adrienne Lauby
> KPFA’s Disability Program,
> Pushing Limits
> Northern & Central California, USA
> (707) 795-2890
> adrienne at sonic.net
> http://pushinglimitsradio.blogspot.com/
> http://www.kpfa.org/pushing-limits

IP JUSTICE
Robin Gross, Executive Director
p: +1-415-553-6261    f: +1-415-462-6451
w: http://www.ipjustice.org     e: robin at ipjustice.org