Commercial internet monopoly proposed

Alex Gakuru gakuru at GMAIL.COM
Tue Jul 21 05:16:06 CEST 2009

Thanks, it is largely NCUCs creative commons customised for local relevance.

I read new FCC chief has a soft spot for the little guy' (NCUC?) and
innovation at the edges (our 'crowd sourcing' ?) Perhaps at Hong Kong
we need to show how these innovations are threatened if proposals,
such as IRT, get adopted. If we manage to show it governments around
the world are likely to side with us..

regards,

Alex

---
[Washington Post]
By Cecilia Kang
Washington Post Staff Writer
Monday, July 20, 2009

Julius Genachowski, President Obama's pick to lead the Federal
Communications Commission, has a soft spot for the little guy.

In his first interview since taking over the federal agency,
Genachowski talked about the importance of "edge" Internet and
software companies in pushing forward technological advances. He
suggested that these companies might play a key role in boosting the
economy and in helping the agency meet its mandate to bring high-speed
Internet access to all Americans.

"That's where the greatest innovation is," he said. "What is
interesting to me is to find ways to work with early-stage innovators
to build from the edge and work on tomorrow's ideas."

The 46-year-old former venture capitalist offered few specifics on how
he would bring those entrepreneurs into an agency that is still
grappling with arcane policies on sharing telephone wires and the
distribution of radio broadcast licenses. And he did not weigh in on
some of the most vexing issues confronting the FCC, including
complaints about exclusive wireless partnerships such as the one AT&T
and Apple forged with the iPhone.

But he touted the role of high-tech and telecom startups and smaller
competitors in creating jobs as the administration pushes to bring
broadband access to the nation.

"I've seen innovation and job creation happen on the platform, on the
edge of the platform and in the cloud," Genachowski said, using
techspeak to refer to computers, handhelds and other mobile devices
and Web-based applications.
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/07/19/AR2009071901826.html?wpisrc=newsletter&wpisrc=newsletter&wpisrc=newsletter

----

PS:

How is got into contributing media articles? Before 2005, I used to
complain a lot that the media did not cover 'us' (technically
inclined) well, if ever. At the launch of http://www.isoc.or.ke I
offered a free technology media resource centre. Since then I have
written many articles to various media outlets - (online, newspapers,
magazines, radio and television) telling our story the way I see it.

AG