raising awareness of stakeholder group charter injustices

Robin Gross robin at IPJUSTICE.ORG
Sat Jul 11 03:19:50 CEST 2009

I remain in shock over the Board SIC (staff's) treatment of the
Stakeholder Group Charters and wonder if anyone from the board was
even paying attention to what staff did with the Commercial
Stakeholder Group Charter.

In particular, under the SIC approved charter for the CSG, they are
going to allow any of the existing members of the IPR, ISP, and
Commercial Constituencies VETO any board vote creating a new
commercial constituency in the CSG.  Amazing!  The press should be
having a field day with this level of incompetence and favoritism.

"4.2 Membership shall also be open to any additional constituency
recognised by ICANN’s Board under its by-laws, provided that such
constituency, as determined by the unanimous consent of the
signatories to this charter, is representative of commercial user
interests which for the purposes of definition are distinct from and
exclude registry and prospective registry, registrar, re-seller or
other domain name supplier interests."

We (noncommercial users) have really been asleep at the wheel over
the last year while the ICANN Board of Directors had their heads
filled with mis-representations about NCUC by relentless back-door
lobbying.  They get it from the commercial/IPR crowd and they get it
from staff, neither of whom want to see noncommercial users effective
in policy development.   The fact that we haven't engaged in backdoor
lobbying the way our critics do is coming back to haunt us by ICANN
trying to take away our newly won 3 elected council seats for
noncommercial users and staff imposing its "stranglehold" charter
while ignoring all of work we did to develop one that was supported
by global civil society (63 organizations + dozens of individuals in
public comments).

We must push-back against ICANN injustice to get them to listen to
noncommercial users and to stop developing policy through backdoor
negotiations while ignoring the expressed will of the public and a
bottom-up process.

ICANN is accepting public comments until 21 July on their imposed
charter, so we have to weigh in loudly on their failure to follow
bottom-up processes and allow noncommercial users to govern
themselves.  More info on comment period:  http://www.icann.org/en/
public-comment/#stakeholder

[Considering the simple fact that not a single comment was taken into
account by ICANN in the April comment period, one must ask oneself,
"what is the point in commenting again?"  But we have to keep up the
pressure and at least alert the public of ICANN squeezing out
noncommercial users in policy development].

We must raise awareness of this injustice to noncommercial users in
the next few weeks, including awareness with the press and political
figures.   Are there any volunteers to work in a small task force
with me to raise awareness (help with blogs, press releases, email
lists, etc.) in the coming weeks? -- please let me know asap.

Thank you very much!

Best,
Robin

IP JUSTICE
Robin Gross, Executive Director
p: +1-415-553-6261    f: +1-415-462-6451
w: http://www.ipjustice.org     e: robin at ipjustice.org