Registration Abuse Policies Working Group

Robin Gross robin at IPJUSTICE.ORG
Wed Jul 8 01:59:57 CEST 2009

Hello Evan,

I am glad that you have brought up the issue of the Registration
Abuse Policies Working Group because I have also been hearing things
about it working to make anonymous online speech more difficult over
concerns of trademark infringement and the like.

But we need to get more people in this group - which has been
operating under the radar of much of the GNSO, but I think would
concern the GNSO if they knew what they were up to.  We need quite a
few smart techies in this group who can cross swords with dozens of
highly paid business lobbyists.  And we should coordinate our
strategies to the extent possible.

The issue that I would like for this group to explore is "trademark
lawyer abuse" and how overzealous trademark lawyers abuse the system,
often over-state their claim, and take over domain name registrations
in a "bullying" fashion.

And from what I've heard, this RAP working group wants criticism on
websites to be considered per se "abuse" of a domain name!

So I think there may be many important issues we should look into
with respect to this RAP WG and this could be a good opportunity to
collaborate on issues.

Let's talk further and find our members who want to work on this group.

Thank you,
Robin

On Jul 6, 2009, at 6:48 AM, Evan Leibovitch wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> At the Sydney ICANN meeting I had the opportunity to attend a
> session of the "Registration Abuse Policies Working Group", which I
> believe is a GNSO subcommittee that encourages participation from
> outside GNSO.
>
> Well, that's the theory. What I found at that meeting was a room
> full of vested interests and contracted partied, determined to
> report to ICANN that the only real form of registration abuse is
> that of trademark abuse.
>
> When I dared mention at the Sydney session that some people
> consider domaining and domain speculation to be a form of "abuse",
> I received what I believed to be some abuse of my own. While Beau
> and Patrick were also at the meeting, I was left alone to take the
> multi-voiced attack from those who seemed insulted that I should
> even raise the issue.
>
> Now, I know that not everyone within At-Large is an opponent of
> domain speculation. But I would like to get some guidance -- or
> some opinions -- regarding whether this voice needs to be
> maintained within this group. I am especially astounded that there
> was nobody from NCUC at the group, leaving the At-Large people --
> and me specifically, in this particular case -- trying to make the
> case that not all registration abuse is trademark related.
>
> As I get ready to participate in a conference call of this group
> for which I am ill prepared (just got home yesterday after a second
> conference I had that followed Sydney), I would like to hear some
> feedback. Am I wasting my time here? Does ALAC have its own
> position of the issue of registrant abuse?
>
> I am fully aware that I am not acting as an At-Large, and as such
> speak there for nobody but myself. However, it would be helpful if
> I could be guided by previous At-Large policy and current At-Large
> sentiment.
>
> Is the statement "domain squatting and speculation constitutes a
> form of registrant abuse" accurate to anyone here? Or should I be
> advancing issues related to other forms of registrant abuse? Or
> should I even bother? I have better uses of my time than being at
> the end of a verbal firing squad.
>
> I'd also like to hear some perspectives from Beau and Patrick, the
> only other "user" minded people in the room that day.
>
> - Evan

IP JUSTICE
Robin Gross, Executive Director
p: +1-415-553-6261    f: +1-415-462-6451
w: http://www.ipjustice.org     e: robin at ipjustice.org