New gTLD consultation in LONDON

Brenden Kuerbis bkuerbis at INTERNETGOVERNANCE.ORG
Mon Jul 6 19:05:33 CEST 2009

On Mon, Jul 6, 2009 at 12:14 PM, Rafik Dammak <rafik.dammak at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hello there,
>
> Thanks to Brenden for work done at NCUC network. NING is more social
> network than website. maybe some people are familiar to use
> http://diploig.ning.com/ which is the network of diplifoundation
> community.

Thanks Rafik. You're right, it's a social network platform, which allows all
Members to contribute.  It's really the only way a organizationally
lightweight entity like NCUC can create a thriving web presence. Members can
easily contribute content, organize, discuss, etc.  (So if any members have
yet to join, do it today!
http://icann-ncuc.ning.com/main/authorization/signUp?)

> @Brenden I think that is good work is done through IGPAlert account in
> twitter, we should create NCUC account for official annoucements etc. I
> observed that there are many people from ICANN community in twitter even the
> new CEO and we can also reach more people.

Agree completely with need for Twitter account. I registered NonComUC
(closest I could get to 'NCUC') over the weekend for this purpose. Has
anyone else registered a better account handle?  I believe people have also
been using #NCUC tag in tweets as well.

> we have also the facebook page which is good channel.

Again, I agree, it is a good opportunity to build publicity for NCUC, but we
need to make sure that anyone who wants to be a Member (and contribute to
NCUC's policy making activities) joins http://icann-ncuc.ning.com/

> We have to create enough noise to voice our ideas.
> I agree with Rebecca that content should be accessible to non expert and we
> can focus on multilinguism too (I can volunteer sometimes for translation to
> french or/and arabic), the challenge is to extent our community and reach
> more people. and have more people with different background will be great.

Thanks for the offer Rafik! Absolutely, anyone who wants to provide
translation, or ways in which we can  improve multilingualism of the new
site, is encouraged to do so!

On a related note, I would encourage members to use their "My Page" to share
information about yourself or organization.  E.g., you can add a RSS for you
blog or Twitter feed, so NCUC members can see what your organization is
working on.  Fellow NCUC member, Aktion Freiheit statt Angst e.V., provides
a great example of how you can use the page to build awareness and drive
traffic to your site. <
http://icann-ncuc.ning.com/profile/AktionFreiheitstattAngsteV> (BTW - we'll
be following up with our organizational members soon so you can display both
your organizations logo and your individual picture on the site)

Cheers,

Brenden