Help Build The New GNSO ???

Adam Peake ajp at GLOCOM.AC.JP
Thu Jan 15 12:50:00 CET 2009

(another resend of another "lost" message...)

Cheryl, Hi.

I am mainly an observer on this list now, but I
think the problem was mainly that you submitted
your alternative proposal the day after a long
known deadline for submitting the constituency's
proposals. I felt there was more frustration that
you were late, than with the actual content of
what you were proposing.

We should hear from the people you encouraged to
join, how did they react once they had read
replies from NCUC members.

But you're right, the NCUC does tend to represent
a pretty narrow range of interests, but it's
always been open, and once when it had access to
some funds had a much more diverse membership.
It's the nature of volunteer organizations that
those who step up to do the work get to sway the
outcomes. And as lot of the stuff ICANN does, and
particularly the GNSO, is arcane, it's always
going to be a minority who will be will to step
up and do the work.

It's very hard to get people interested and to
stay interested, particularly when to be really
engaged and contribute is also quite costly. It
takes a pretty strong motivation to continue in
this environment (there's not a great career path
here!)  So while I can understand your
frustration, please don't blame people for
volunteering their time.

I found the NCUC's NCSG proposal to be open, I
don't see barriers to joining.  I see some good
balance between member's powers and
constituencies, a lot of thought in how to
encourage policy participation and also a broad
membership. It is not perfect.

Now the process is up in the air again (I think
many of us thought it was moving towards
conclusion some months ago) perhaps you could
produce an amended version of the NCUC proposal
so we could clearly see the changes you are
proposing and why. My apologies if you have
already done this and I've missed it!

(seems there might be a problem with the list, perhaps this won't get through!)

Thanks,

Adam