Help Build The New GNSO ???

Avri Doria avri at LTU.SE
Tue Jan 13 18:39:39 CET 2009

Hi,

It is not a staff proposal.

It is a proposal which i was part of initiating for how to respond to:

> Board resoluion 2008-12-11-02
>
> "that members of the GNSO community work with members of the ALAC/At-
> Large community and representatives of potential new "non-commercial"
> constituencies to jointly develop a recommendation for the composition
> and organizational structure of a Non-Commercial Stakeholder Group
> that does not duplicate the ALAC and its supporting structures, yet
> ensures that the gTLD interests of individual Internet users"

As I indicated in my note to the council on this:

> Note: One possible objection is that this discussion is relevant
> only to the NCSG and not to the rest of the GNSO community and thus
> there is no role for the rest of the GNSO community or for the GNSO
> council in this process.    I can certainly see the logic of his
> view and accept it if it is the predominant view in the council.  I
> do, however, feel obliged to make sure we have responded to the
> Board motion, and hence the proposal and the discussion.

I look forward to council discussion on this to determine the right
course of action for resolving the issues contained in the Board's
motion and for responding to the Board's motion.  I expect that the
NCUC council members will give a strong indication of the NCUC's
preferences in this matter.

As for being on the NCUC list.  As someone who is at the same time an
academic and a member of several organizations that are NCUC members
but not an NCUC member per se, I read the list but do not generally
respond unless directly 'addressed'.  I am grateful I am allowed to
read the list as email as opposed to having to go to the archive.

As for my reelection;  while I do very much appreciate the
enthusiastic support of NCUC council members and their nomination for
my first two terms, just as I very much appreciate having been
nominated by members of the RrC for the most recent election, I try to
do the job as openly and fairly as I can without moderating my views
based on who nominated me.  That does not mean I don't blow it from
time to time, but when I do it is because I got it wrong and not
because X or Y supported my nomination.

a.