Registration Abuse Policies drafting team

Robin Gross robin at IPJUSTICE.ORG
Sat Jan 10 04:29:59 CET 2009

NCUC:

Is anyone interested in joining the newly forming GNSO drafting team
on "registration abuse policies"?  We need volunteers!

This is an issue worth looking into so, I hope we have some members
interested in contributing to the discussion and developing the
policy in this area.  Please let me or any of the counselors know if
you are interested in participating in this GNSO drafting team.

Thank you!
Robin

Mailing List:
http://forum.icann.org/lists/gnso-rap-dt/

GNSO Counsel Resolution on the GNSO Issues Report on Registration
Abuse Policies

Whereas:

The GNSO Issues Report on Registration Abuse Policies indicated that
further
review, evaluation and study be done before a PDP is initiated,

Resolved:

That a drafting team be formed to create a proposed charter for a
working group
to investigate the open issues documented in the issues report on
Registrations
Abuse Policy. Specifically:

9.1 Review and Evaluate Findings

A first step would be for the GNSO Council to review and evaluate the
findings,
taking into account that this report provides an overview of
registration abuse
provisions, but does not analyse how these provisions are implemented in
practice and whether they are deemed effective in addressing
registration abuse.

9.2 Identify specific policy issues

Following the review and evaluation of the findings, the GNSO Council
would
need to determine whether there are specific policy issues regarding
registration abuse. As part of this determination it would be helpful
to define
the specific type(s) of abuse of concern, especially distinguishing
between
registration abuse and other types of abuse if relevant.

9.3 Need for further research

As part of the previous two steps, ICANN Staff would recommend that
the GNSO
Council determines where further research may be needed - e.g. is
lack of
uniformity a substantial problem, how effective are current
registration abuse
provisions in addressing abuse in practice, is an initial review or
analysis of
the UDRP required?

The WG charter should be ready for review by the council on or before 15
January 2009 and will be voted on at the council meeting of 29
January 2009 at
which time the council will take the by-laws required PDP vote.

IP JUSTICE
Robin Gross, Executive Director
p: +1-415-553-6261    f: +1-415-462-6451
w: http://www.ipjustice.org     e: robin at ipjustice.org