[council] Board Resolution on individual users

Mary Wong MWong at PIERCELAW.EDU
Tue Jan 20 23:37:48 CET 2009

Hi all, here is some further information on the issue. Note that it is something I (in my limited time on the GNSO Council so far) believe is critical for NCUC members - both as potential members either of a reconstituted NCSG or a new Constituency, or indeed, both (as the proposal we submitted to the Board contemplates) - to monitor.

The implications of the 11 December Board resolution has generated some discussion within the Council. Bill and Carlos will correct me if my impressions are mistaken, but my sense is that the Council is looking for concrete guidance as to how individual Internet users can be more and better incorporated into the new GNSO structure. Similarly, as Denise Michel's email (below) seems to indicate, that is the Board's main aim in passing the resolution in question.

The ALAC is now in the process of forming a GNSO/ALAC working group to discuss the matter, specifically, to formulate an ALAC response to the Board on a proposed new NCSG.

I for one do not want the process to turn into a political battle between different groups of non-commercial users (whether from NCUC, the ALAC or others), as the important goal is to broaden and increase both individual as well as non-commercial participation in the GNSO (and more broadly, ICANN). I certainly do not want the current uncertainty/ambiguity/confusion to lead to conflict that could potentially *reduce* such participation.

While the fundamental question of the relationship between the SGs and new Constituencies that may be approved by the Board remains unresolved (and is a question that can impact the makeup and voting power of the new GNSO bicameral house), may I ask for your input, comments or insight into how best we three Councillors can represent your concerns while ensuring a continued place at the negotiating table for non-commercial users?

Thanks; it's my hope that with some member feedback we'll be better equipped to speak for the community on what is an issue of vital importance.

Cheers
Mary

Mary W S Wong
Professor of Law
Franklin Pierce Law Center
Two White Street
Concord, NH 03301
USA
Email: mwong at piercelaw.edu
Phone: 1-603-513-5143
Webpage: http://www.piercelaw.edu/marywong/index.php
Selected writings available on the Social Science Research Network (SSRN) at: http://ssrn.com/author=437584

>>> Milton L Mueller <mueller at SYR.EDU> 1/20/2009 11:53 AM >>>
This is a good sign, it looks like staff is backing away from trying to dictate a new NCSG structure, but we still have a long ways to go, as there are many misunderstandings about the transition that serve as barriers to progress. I also received a message from Roberto Gaetano, I am not sure whether it is intended to be confidential but I will send it to this list if I can.