[Ncu-exec] Proposed Schedule & Agenda for NCUC Constituency Day Tuesday 3 March in Mexico City

William Drake william.drake at GRADUATEINSTITUTE.CH
Sat Feb 28 17:53:16 CET 2009

Hi Robin,

I'm posting this to the main list as it seems of relevance to the
constituency generally.

I'd like to propose an addition to the Tuesday program: the RAA.

As you know, there was a counsel vote on RAA amendments a month or two
ago.  The amendments were rejected in significant part because Mary,
Carlos and I voted against. I've never actually had a chance to
discuss this with Mary and Carlos, but can say why I voted no.   I
have no major problem with most of the amendments, which seem like
sensible improvements that I figured eventually would go through.
However, there was one bit I wanted to hear more discussion and maybe
get some assurances on.  This concerns registrant (aka consumer/user/
citizen) protections.

new RAA Subsection 3.15:
3.15 In the event that ICANN gives reasonable notice to
Registrar that ICANN has published a webpage that
identifies available registrant rights and responsibilities,
and the content of such webpage is developed in
consultation with registrars, Registrar shall provide a link
to the webpage on any website it may operate for
domain name registration or renewal clearly displayed to
its Registered Name Holders at least as clearly as its
links to policies or notifications required to be displayed
under ICANN Consensus Policies.

I understand this provision was in part a response to Vittorio
Bertola's suggesting a few years back that registrant rights should be
clearly listed in contracts (ALAC apparently did nothing to follow up
on the idea, but this was added as a nod).  But as responses go, the
GNSO's text seems a bit underwhelming.  IF staff decide to do
something that should have been done long ago, AND they do it in
consultation with registrars, there should be a web link.  Yipee.

I wanted to hear more about what specifically might constitute a
reasonable set of rights and responsibilities (hopefully not to
include over the top WHOIS commitments).   And about whether we could
imagine some baseline level of harmonization, a standardized set of
minimum protections---as Vittorio noted in a post to the IGF rights
and principles group's list---akin to airline passengers' rights in
the EU.  Or, if harmonization is deemed by registrars to be too
intrusive on commercial practices and too insensitive to varying
registrar practices and conditions, what about a model set that
enlightened registars could visibly opt in on to attract customers?

A couple days ago, Tim Ruiz proposed a new motion for passing the RAA
amendments when we vote again this Wednesday.  Inter alia, it calls
for a Drafting Team to identify those issues that the community
believes could be further revised through PDP processes or through
additional changes to the RAA, so maybe at that point such questions
would be considered.   My third hand understanding is that registrars
previously expressed openness to maybe potentially considering a code
of practice, but only if the RAA amendments package were approved
first.  But as I've not heard much about consumer protection since
joining the counsel and out there in the world the levels of
protection vary widely, it seemed reasonable to want to get a better
sense of the intentions and future direction on such matters at the
front end, rather than just signing a blank check that allows the rest
of the amendments to go forward while nothing gets done on registrant
rights.

Anyway, this morning Tim wrote to us lobbying for our votes so the
amendments pass Wednesday.  I outlined in reply my concerns and asked
whether something couldn't be done to build in an assurance that work
will commence on registrant rights.  He replied that a number of
registrars would be ready and willing to work on baseline rights,
noting in particular the post-expiry deletes issue, and suggested that
perhaps we can make specific mention of this within the motion to set
the stage for pursuing it sooner than later.

In short, we're now in a situation where, having withheld support,
registrars may be willing to negotiate with us wording that would
create momentum for work on registrant rights.  This seems promising
to me.  But of course, we would need to a) wordsmith an amendment
pledging that the drafting team or whomever will seriously and
promptly address the matter, and then b) come up with some clear
thinking about exactly what rights (and responsibilities) we might
ultimately want established.

Of course, if nobody else thinks this is a particularly useful
initiative, i.e. that there's more risk than potential benefit, then I
can drop it, but it seemed like there was an opening to make a small
difference.

If instead people think this is worth considering, it would be great
if on Tuesday we could come to some consensus on these matters within
the constituency, prior to the vote on Wednesday.

Ok?

Bill