Draft NCSG Charter (v4.0) - answers to your questions

Norbert Klein nhklein at GMX.NET
Sat Feb 7 06:06:00 CET 2009

On Saturday, 7 February 2009 03:19:39 Cheryl Preston wrote:

> As to geographical representation, the problem you describe will be true
> for each constituency around the entire GNSO house.  To solve it, all of
> the seats would have to be allocated based on the entire group.  For years,
> NCUC has had three seats and thus only a slightly greater chance for
> diversity than you describe.  If all the constituencies had picked
> representatives from the same two or three countries, the problem would
> have been the same.  But you didn't complain about this model until you
> were asked to share seats with other constituencies.
>
> Could you please forward to the list the current draft of your proposal and
> the staff comments (and a membership list, pllleeaase)?  Thanks.
>

> Cheryl B. Preston
> Edwin M. Thomas
> Professor of Law
> J. Reuben Clark Law School
> Brigham Young University
> 434 JRCB
> Provo, UT 84602
> (801) 422-2312
> prestonc at lawgate.byu.edu

Hi Cheryl,

I am not sure why a membership list was not forwarded to you - probably
because of being busy or whatever - and because it is anyway available
publicly on the Internet. But I repeat the URL here:

http://www.ncdnhc.org

And to assist in seeing also the membership: it is here:

http://www.ncdnhc.org/members.htm

Your mail sounds as if there would have been any secrecy about the membership
by withholding information - but anybody who wants to see it and has Internet
access can see it.

As for geographic diversity, I take this very seriously, and I think ICANN
history shows that we have done well. Given the handicap posed on the
majority of Internet users for not being native speakers of English, and the
preference to economically very strong actors in intended ICANN developments
(I refer here especially to the application fees intended for new gTLDs which
are so high "for cost coverage" - when I inroduced the .kh domain, surely a
simpler process,I was told the cost was negligible) I can imagine that there
would be soon quite a number of new groupings within the new structures under
discussion -  where the majority with high probablility would be
north-atlantic based - and as they are a majority of groups claiming equal
direct representation rights, I think that Milton's concern how to maintain
and assure geographic diversity is very important.

Norbert Klein

--
If you want to know what is going on in Cambodia, please visit
The Mirror, a regular review of the Cambodian language press in English.

http://cambodiamirror.wordpress.com