Fwd: [gnso-osc] GNSO Constituency Survey - Final Report

Robin Gross robin at IPJUSTICE.ORG
Fri Feb 6 19:48:16 CET 2009

This just in.  Thanks the the NCUC members who participated in the
survey.  (NCUC had the most number of people participate of any
constituency).

But I have to say, this survey seemed largely designed to produce the
result that its funders wanted: ICANN expanding its role into new
functions and micro-management of the GNSO.

Robin

Begin forwarded message:

> From: Robert Hoggarth <robert.hoggarth at icann.org>
> Date: January 30, 2009 12:51:53 PM PST
> To: "council at gnso.icann.org" <council at gnso.icann.org>, "gnso-
> osc at icann.org" <gnso-osc at icann.org>, Jonathon Nevett
> <jnevett at networksolutions.com>
> Subject: [gnso-osc] GNSO Constituency Survey - Final Report
>

> Dear GNSO Council, Constituency Leaders and Operations Steering
> Committee Members;
>
> As you will recall, we launched a GNSO Constituency Survey at the
> start of the Cairo Meeting and concluded it, after a two week
> extension, on 14 December 2008.  The survey was designed to collect
> constituency input in the following four specific areas highlighted
> in the Board’s Report on GNSO Improvements:
>
> (1)   Developing a standardized "Toolkit" of services;
>
> (2)   Creating a centralized membership registry or database;
>
> (3)   Knowledge/skill training for leaders and members; and
>
> (4)   Recruiting/outreach programs associated with constituency
> growth and expansion.
>
> Attached, as promised, is a comprehensive final report of the
> survey’s findings which covers who, what, when, why, and how as
> well as summarizing each question and an initial set of
> observations/conclusions that can be drawn from participant responses.
>
> Our original intention was to provide this input to the Operations
> Steering Committee’s (OSC) Work Team chartered to develop
> recommendations in these disciplines.  We hope the team will find
> the materials helpful in their deliberations.  Thanks to
> everyone’s active engagement in this effort, especially those who
> helped with testing and many of you who personally participated in
> the survey.  The planning worked out well in that we hoped to have
> this product available on or about the time that the Work Team
> commenced deliberations.  Many thanks to Ken Bour for leading the
> effort to develop the survey, marshalling it forward and preparing
> the final report.
>
> We will post the report on the GNSO Improvements Information Web
> Portal ( http://gnso.icann.org/en/improvements/ ) as well as the
> OSC’s Wiki page ( https://st.icann.org/icann-osc/index.cgi?
> operations_steering_committee_osc ).   A courtesy copy of this
> report will also be sent to the survey respondents not on this
> circulation list along with our “thanks” for their participation.
>
> If you have any questions about this report or any other aspect of
> the survey, please email me.
>
> Regards,
>
> Rob Hoggarth
>
> Senior Policy Director
> ICANN

IP JUSTICE
Robin Gross, Executive Director
p: +1-415-553-6261    f: +1-415-462-6451
w: http://www.ipjustice.org     e: robin at ipjustice.org