IDNs and an upcomming possible chaos?

Joly MacFie joly at PUNKCAST.COM
Wed Dec 30 01:17:38 CET 2009

FYI - I already kicked off a discussion of this on the At-Large list:
http://atlarge-lists.icann.org/pipermail/at-large_atlarge-lists.icann.org/2009q4/006347.html

There appears some consensus that this is not specifically an ICANN problem,
but one of application implementation. However it would behoove ICANN to
provide definitive guidance to both developers and the public on how best to
avoid confusion

joly

On Tue, Dec 29, 2009 at 6:51 PM, Fouad Bajwa <fouadbajwa at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have recently been following IDN discussions at:
> http://www.idnforums.com/forums and
> http://www.webmasterworld.com/domain_names/3774259.htm as well reading
> this article which is also in discussion at other lists and would be
> of great interest to us in NCUC/NCSG: De-Latinisation of the Web:
> http://blog.collins.net.pr/2009/12/de-latinisation-of-web.html
>
> Is it possible that there will be a more chaotic situation around the
> IDN and its market ecosystem with the lack of understanding of IDNs
> and knowledge on the simple user's part?
>
> There is another step that comes as a corporate social responsibility
> since ICANN calls titles itself as a corporation that ICANN or its
> partners and affiliates may have to invest a great deal in capacity
> building across the world or pass this duty on to its registrars and
> their registries.
>
> This maybe part of an emerging issue for NCUC to look into and
> dedicate some time and discussion for recommendations/advice to ICANN.
>
> --
> Regards.
> Fouad Bajwa

Joly MacFie  917 442 8665 Skype:punkcast
WWWhatsup NYC - http://wwwhatsup.com