IDNs and an upcomming possible chaos?

Rafik Dammak rafik.dammak at GMAIL.COM
Wed Dec 30 11:43:29 CET 2009

Hello,

2009/12/30 Tapani Tarvainen <ncuc at tapani.tarvainen.info>

> On Wed, Dec 30, 2009 at 11:48:31AM +0900, Rafik Dammak (
> rafik.dammak at GMAIL.COM)
> > Hello,
>
> > I see also the same "keyboard
> > polemic" as people cannot type those idn (why do you want to access to
> > website with idn which it means that content is probably in language that
> > you don't speak?).

I don't know about you, but I do that quite often, even
> sites in languages like Japanese which I don't know at all,
> especially photo sites where pictures are the main thing,
> and also for product information: there's often enough
> brand names and the like to give an idea if it's worth
> trying a machine translator on it.

 yes you can try to access, maybe you can do that basically from a search
engine. here in japan for some reasons, people access to websites in their
mobile not by typing the url but by searching in yahoo BB! service even for
accessing to google :)
I guess that we can have many cases like that.

> Another obvious (and probably more common) case is when you
> travel and temporarily want to use a foreign-language keyboard
> to access a website in your language.

I have japanese keyboard and sometimes I need to type in arabic so I use
either a virtual keyboard (present in win too and in as much as added to the
os) or transliteration service.
in any new situation a new usage will appear, I am pretty sure that people
will find workaroud for those issues.

I'm not saying this is a heavy argument against IDNs,
> usually you get by following links or doing cut'n'paste,
> but it is a real issue. (A standard and intuitive way of
> entering all Unicode characters on all keyboard would be
> something... but it's probably impossible.)
>
> --
> Tapani Tarvainen

Rafik