ICANN Must Account for its Math

InternationalParents info at FRENCHPARENTS.NET
Fri Aug 14 10:07:09 CEST 2009

Hello to all,

I've been part of this group for years but have not been a active.
I've been a Web 2.0 social entrepreneur since 2 000, in California, now
living in Aix en Provence, France.  My focus has been on offering
parents, especially those moving around and who are multicultural,
networking
destinations on the web. My educational and professional background
is in political science, economics, business and marketing
communications.
I'm both English Canadian and French.

Re: ICANN's MATH:

Interesting point, I had no idea those were the numbers!

Thanks to Cedric Laurant on his feedback on the acronyms. They really
do a disservice to the whole issue at hand.

A good motion could be to propose that ICANN get rid of them and use
easier names like:
- ComGroup,
- NonComGroup, etc...

Do commercial users pay a fee to be members of the CSG, which may be
higher than what NCUC members pay,
and which may explain ICANN's favorable ear?

GOVERNANCE ISSUES IN FRANCE

On another note, does any one on the list know which bodies
( universities, institutes, and others)  in France are concerned with
these issues of Internet governance?
I'd like to get in touch with them and see how I could be active as
part of an institution rather than as an individual, web 2.0 social
entrepreneur
concerned with these issues.

Caroline Isautier

Le 12 août 09 à 22:04, Robin Gross a écrit :

> [...]
>

>   Olga Cavalli
> 2009
>
> Term Ending
>
> Appointed
>

> On Aug 12, 2009, at 11:28 AM, Robin Gross wrote:
>
>> According to the BC's website, 58% of the Business Constituency's
>> membership is based in a single country - the USA (28 of the 44
>> members).
>>
>> Not very representative of the global business community.  I guess
>> that is why they lobbied for and received the special exception
>> allowing them to elect all 6 of their GNSO councilors from only 2
>> geographic regions in their new charter.
>>
>> We have more members in different countries (48), than the entire
>> BC membership combined (44).
>>
>> But what do facts matter at ICANN?
>>
>> Robin
>>

>> On Aug 12, 2009, at 9:13 AM, Robin Gross wrote:
>>
>>> The Facts.
>>>
>>> Commercial Stakeholder Group Membership.
>>> According to the Business Constituency's website, they have 44
>>> members.
>>> According to the IPR Constituency's website, they have 18 members.
>>> According to the ISP Constituency's website, (they don't publish
>>> membership lists and haven't had a post to their email list in
>>> 2009).  But, according the 2006 LSE Report (the last documented
>>> account of the ISP Constituency's membership, they have 42 members.
>>>
>>> So if we add the membership of these 3 commercial constituencies
>>> together, we get  total of 104 members in the Commercial
>>> Stakeholder Group, who will elect 6 GNSO Councilors.
>>>
>>> Contrast:
>>> NCUC has 142 members but noncommercial users will not be allowed
>>> to elect any of our new GNSO Councilors on the claim that we are
>>> too small to deserve to elect all 6 GNSO Councilors.
>>>
>>> Did anyone from ICANN staff/SIC do any math before they ruled non-
>>> commercial users are too small to deserve to elect all 6 GNSO
>>> Councilors?
>>>   NCSG membership = 142 members (allowed 3 elected representatives)
>>>   CSG membership = 104 members (allowed 6 representatives)
>>>
>>> What was the decision-making process that led to ICANN's
>>> determination that noncommercial users are too small?  Seriously,
>>> we deserve to know how they arrived at that decision and upon
>>> what facts the decision was based - it is our elected
>>> representation that they are meddling with.  ICANN will have to
>>> answer this.
>>>

>>> IP JUSTICE
>>> Robin Gross, Executive Director
>>> 1192 Haight Street, San Francisco, CA  94117  USA
>>> p: +1-415-553-6261    f: +1-415-462-6451
>>> w: http://www.ipjustice.org     e: robin at ipjustice.org
>>>

>> IP JUSTICE
>> Robin Gross, Executive Director
>> 1192 Haight Street, San Francisco, CA  94117  USA
>> p: +1-415-553-6261    f: +1-415-462-6451
>> w: http://www.ipjustice.org     e: robin at ipjustice.org
>>

> IP JUSTICE
> Robin Gross, Executive Director
> p: +1-415-553-6261    f: +1-415-462-6451

Frenchparents.net - Bilingual online community in San Francisco
http://www.frenchparents.net

Frenchparents.net - Bilingual online community in San Francisco
http://www.frenchparents.net

InternationalParents - Social network in 30 cities worldwide
Le premier réseau international des familles futées
The first international network for smart parents
http://www.internationalparents.net/beta