Draft Letter to ICANN Board & CEO

William Drake william.drake at GRADUATEINSTITUTE.CH
Wed Aug 12 16:02:25 CEST 2009

Hi

On Aug 11, 2009, at 11:05 PM, Avri Doria wrote:

> Note: i was never in favor of constituency-less SG charters, but
> that is what NCUC bottom up process originally decided on, and as I
> understand only changed when it became clear that it would not be
> allowed.  At least not for the NCSG.  I apologize for my role in
> helping to convince NCUC to back down on that (and some other stuff)
> - but i never envisioned that the Board would allow it - i was wrong.

Avri, this is not a criticism, just my own puzzlement:  I have never
entirely understood why you have characterized NCUC as having proposed
a "constituency-less" charter.  From v. 1 circulated by Milton to the
list on 9 November last year, there were community-formed, SG-approved
groupings called constituencies.  If what you mean is that unless the
board approves them they cannot rightly be considered constituencies
in the normal ICANN sense (as you note, we changed this pre-Mexico
when we heard that it was a sticking point in the Board's view) ok I
get your meaning, but others who are not bylaws-attuned may not
appreciate that that definitional requirement is the basis of the
characterization.  Just wondering because the "NCUC vs constituencies"
framing been central to the little bits of justification we've
variously been given for what's supposed to be wrong with our
charter.  Supposedly we somehow wanted to marginalize them in order to
capture and control, which of course was never the case, so I'm
skittish about how this gets posed discursively.

Interesting to consider how this issue is addressed in the staff
summary of the public comment period.  It's characterized as the key
difference between the NCUC and SIC versions, and staff notes,

'The V-NCSG proposes that all members of the SG - organizations, large
and small, as well as individuals - become direct members of the NCSG
while “constituencies” are voluntary self-forming (ad hoc) groupings
that may be freely formed and dissolved for the purposes of coalescing
and advancing particular policy positions. In this model,
constituencies have no electoral or voting functions, per se, within
the SG.'

I guess the quotes mean that our constituencies are not true
constituencies in the ICANN sense.  But this is odd, since we
ultimately conceded that, "The procedures for becoming a Board-
recognized Constituency within the NCSG are contained in the ICANN
Bylaws and other procedures approved by the Board."  Also odd is the
statement that they'd have no electoral or voting functions, when we
say,

"Constituency Rights and Responsibilities.  Each NCSG Constituency
shall:
1.            Elect/appoint representative(s) to serve on the NCSG EC;
2.            Nominate candidates and participate in elections for
GNSO Council Representatives (CR);
3.            Develop and issue policy and position statements with
particular emphasis on ICANN consensus policies that relate to
interoperability,
		technical reliability and stable operation of the Internet or domain
name system;
4.            Participate in the GNSO policy development processes;
5.            Select Nominating Committee delegate(s) as directed by
the ICANN Board; and
6.            Perform any other functions identified by the ICANN
Board, GNSO Council, or the NCSG as Constituency responsibilities."

Ok, we don't say each constituency is guaranteed a seat on the council
per CP80, but the staff version doesn't do that anymore either.  So
how exactly do we supposedly mess up this singularly important issue?
By not forcing individuals into constituencies if they want to be in
the NCSG?

I'm wondering if we shouldn't be trying to address this more directly
in the letter.  It seems to me that the take off point for Mary's
excellent draft is procedural, rather than substantive.  We lead with
a complaint about how our processes and inputs have been ignored:
Paragraph 1 attributes the board's decision to " continuing
misperceptions and misinformation about the true extent of involvement
by non-commercial entities and individuals in the year-long process
that led to NCUC’s original proposal for an NCSG Charter."  I can
easily imagine board people thinking, gee we're sorry you feel bad,
but what matters is the end product, and we don't like yours.

We of course have to make the process points, but since these haven't
yet swayed them and are unlikely to in the future, might it not make
sense to get more quickly, and in more detail, to our substantive
problems with the SIC version?  Right now, that discussion doesn't
start until page 7.  I recall Milton wrote up some good material a
ways back on the SIC version's dysfunctional aspects (although the
wired council seats aspect is no longer operative, at least for the
first year).  Maybe that could be tweaked and drawn in here?

Bottom line, a priori I would think we are better off emphasizing up
front that there are reasons why we rejected the sort of model they've
embraced and would have a hard time operating within it, and then
addressing afterwards the ways in which we've been mistreated, since
the latter quite obviously is not dispositive for them.

Bill