ICANN SOI to fill sham noncommercial council seats

David Cake dave at DIFFERENCE.COM.AU
Wed Aug 12 09:42:01 CEST 2009

At 7:57 AM +0900 12/8/09, Rafik Dammak wrote:
>Hello,
>
>I second Rebecca in this point
>@david the problem is that developing countries are less
>represented, I think that NCUC can show a good example and how
>diverse it is. I wanted to raise it when Kieren was at conference (I
>don' trust him so much ), when ICANN organize meetings in NY, London
>and HongKong, I asked him in twitter why not remote participation
>for abu dhabi meeting he answered "was there demand" and there is no
>planned meeting for Africa (maybe just a session in East African
>IGF, maybe Alex know better than me)

	I want developing countries to be well represented, and
especially those from the countries with unrepresentative regimes
that Rebecca talks about. The problem is that we are no longer
selecting the people who will fill those seats, the board are - and I
think we need to nominate not only the people that we would rather
have filling those seats, but also people who we think the board
might prefer.
	 I would rather see someone who is sympathetic to NCUC on the
board even if it isn't our preferred option, and I think it is
important to maximise the chances of that happening. And that means
that we need to throw in a few alternatives that might be more
preferred by the board, people from a variety of different
backgrounds and skill sets. Because I worry that if we throw several
candidates at them that are all from civil society orgs in developing
countries, and board decides they'd really have someone with
different skills or background, the board may well say no to all of
our candidates and leave us with nothing. Whereas I am hopeful that
those sympathetic to our position on the board may well be able to
swing backing for one of a candidate sympathetic to NCUC if they are
not seen as a 'typical NCUC candidate'.
	Cheers
		David