Draft Letter to ICANN Board & CEO

Willie Currie wcurrie at APC.ORG
Tue Aug 11 22:39:31 CEST 2009

Dear Mary

Great letter! Just two quick points - I'm not sure about paragraph 3. I
thought the idea expressed in today's meeting was precisely to make a
request to the Board to reconsider its decision. So I would  suggest
striking out paragrph 3 and replacing it with a formal request to the
board to reconsider its decision.  That would also change the tenor of
the letter from  a plea to correct misperceptions to a  formal request
to reconsider a decision.

With regard to section 2 on specific issues with the NCSG Charter
adopted by the Board, isn't there a body of US adminstrative law we can
draw on to attack the decision on the grounds of administrative
injustice, as it appears that the process adopted by ICANN in its
decision-making on the charters has been based on:

- the misperceptions circulated about the NCUC by the ALAC chair and
others (p9)
- the timing of the late release of the SIC/Staff Charter and the
process surrounding its tabling to the Board (p7)
- the failure of the Board to discuss the NCUC's proposed Charter,
implying the failure of the NCUC's views to be heard by an
administrative body (is there evidence of this?) (p10)
- the filtering of views in the 'Summary & Analysis' document and the
short time it was provided to the Board before the July 30 Meeting
(today's NCUC meeting)

In addition, the disparity in treatment between the Board's treatment of
the NCSG and CSG charters raises issues of administrative fairness
regarding constituencies and the issue of the ICANN Board being guilty
of discrimination and prejudice (p10).

I don't know how administrative justice works in the USA but these are
the kinds of issues in other jurisdictions which would be used to
overturn a decision of an administrative body on technical grounds of
administrative fairness, whether through formal processes of judicial
review or alternative dispute mechanisms, which is often easier to do
than challenging issues on the merits or content of decisions.

Willie

Willie Currie
Communications and Information Policy Programme Manager
Association for Progressive Communications (APC)
www.apc.org