[Fwd: Clarifications Regarding Staff Summary-Analysis of Stakeholder Group Charter Public Forum]

William Drake william.drake at GRADUATEINSTITUTE.CH
Sat Aug 8 11:31:04 CEST 2009

Hi Nick

Thanks for this.  Let me make sure I understand what Rob's saying.
CLO's personal statement endorsing the SIC charter can properly be
characterized by staff as an ALAC endorsement of the charter because
a) the staff summary does not purport to address every specific
argument (but simply to mischaracterize them when convenient?) and b)
her message was prefaced by a disclaimer stating that she was
presenting a synopsis of ALAC conversations from before the SIC
charter was even produced.  So ALAC did not actually have to have
discussed the SIC charter, much less have reached consensus on it, in
order for staff to characterize her position as ALAC's.  Do I have
that right?

Interesting parallel: I asked Rob in a GNSO council meeting, and
reiterated in my submission to the public comment period, that
statements made in support of the NCUC version by NCUC members and
hundreds (counting the Internet Governance Caucus etc) of external
supporters in the public comment period ending 15 April be taken into
account in the summary of the PC ending 23 July.  The reasons for
doing so were straightforward: there was no reason to believe that the
organizations and individuals that said they supported the NCUC model
and therefore rejected the opposite model had changed their
positions,  so they should not be required to all mobilize and restate
their stances a couple months later, in the summer travel season
(although some did).  The suggestion was not acted upon or even
mentioned in the staff summary.

So: a synopsis of ALAC conversations during the previous PC period, in
which it was concluded that there was no consensus in ALAC on the
charters, can be cited as an ALAC endorsement of a version that was
never discussed or agreed on.  But a substantial number of comments
from NCUC and its supporters during the same previous PC period that
unambiguously supported the NCUC model and rejected the alternative
did not merit mention.  And in any event, civil society objections to
the SIC charter in the July PC period should sort of be discounted
because, the staff summary says, "well over half of the responses
appeared to be a direct or indirect [fuzzy math?] result of a letter
writing campaign initiated by Robin Gross."  Outreach soliciting the
public comments ICANN was soliciting renders those comments suspect,
if it is done by NCUC.

Thank you for clarifying once again how ICANN's bottom-up,
transparent, and accountable community processes work.

Best,

Bill

William J. Drake
Senior Associate