NCUC & NCSG diversity & participation

Dan Krimm dan at MUSICUNBOUND.COM
Sat Aug 8 08:30:55 CEST 2009

At 2:17 AM +0800 8/8/09, David Cake wrote:
>At 8:08 PM +0300 6/8/09, Alex Gakuru wrote:
>>I am tempted to write an email from Nairobi to President Obama
>>complaining about NCUC mistreatment by ICANN. Would it be appropriate?
>>  I need your advice. Would you like me to send my draft on-list for
>>the NCUC Editor to polish it up?
>
>	If you are sending something to the US govt complaining about
>ICANN, make sure you also send it to Henry Waxman, Chairman of the
>House Committee on Energy and Commerce. He has more direct influence
>into the Dept of Commerces relationship with ICANN, which is
>something that is very senstive to ICANN right now.
>	Cheers
>		David

Speaking of the House Committee on Energy and Commerce, there are a few
other members of that committee who have been sensitive to public interest
and the Internet over the last few years:

 * Rick Boucher (Chairman of the Subcommittee on Communications,
Technology, and the Internet)
 * Edward Markey (wrote the Net Neutrality bill that may get reintroduced
this session -- member of the subcommittee)
 * Anna Eshoo (another strong Net Neutrality supporter, though being a
representative for Silicon Valley I don't know if she also has ties to
folks like Vint Cerf at Google, former ICANN chair with perhaps less than a
totally supportive attitude toward NCUC -- anyone here have any thoughts
about that? -- also a member of the subcommittee)

http://energycommerce.house.gov/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=160&Itemid=61

And, what about including Susan Crawford, former NCUC-sympathetic ICANN
board member, who is now Obama's Special Assistant for Science, Technology,
and Innovation Policy?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Susan_P._Crawford

She would be a significant person to address this sort of stuff in the
current administration.  I would guess she may well be aware of what's
going on here to some extent, and presumably bothered by it to the extent
that it is on her radar.  But legitimate external ammunition is always
helpful to people who want to advocate for something internally in a large
administrative hierarchy, as well as helping to focus their attention.

Dan

--
Any opinions expressed in this message are those of the author alone and do
not necessarily reflect any position of the author's employer.