ICANN SOI to fill sham noncommercial council seats

Katitza Rodriguez katitza at DATOS-PERSONALES.ORG
Fri Aug 7 15:48:48 CEST 2009

Dear Adam,  All:

I want to confirmed  that  one ICANN staff attended last year TACD
meeting in DC. The TACD is a forum of US and EU consumer organisations
which develops and agrees on joint consumer policy recommendations to
the US government and the European Union to promote the consumer
interest in EU and US policy making. Some of the organizations who are
members of TACD are members of NCUC (including EPIC). Many consumers
groups does not have ICANN in its own priority line of work. I would
strongly suggest to contact TACD Liaison and explained to them this
issue. We need a formal answer as this argument is hurting civil
society advocacy work. Civil Society should be unified in this cases,
and we should work together in other to solve our own problems. Then,
we should communicate our position to ICANN's Board

In this regards, I would strongly suggest that NCUC send a formal
letter to the Chairman of the ICANN Board including the signature of
all the NGOs who support the NCUC letter/charter. Many of this NGOs
has pass through their own internal discussion in order to sign that
NCUC  petition. How we could explained to them, that they were
ignored? This letter should explained 1. NCUC proposal charter, 2. The
critics to the ICANN's charter, 3. How civil society works in order to
get consensus of non commercial organizations around the world (The
important of the endorsement of NCUC charter through signatures. The
latest is important as they might not be familiar of how civil society
works and how we get support from civil society organizations around
the world.

If the letter is strong enough, I really doubt that ICANN Board will
ignore it. If they do it, we could still think in other strategics
(i.e Ombudsman). I am pretty sure that most of the strong
organizations around the world who works for the public interest will
work together on this.

Finally, in my own opinion, I am extremely surprise with this whole
discussion, which is unique compare to other Internet policy making
processes.

Regards,

Katitza Rodriguez