NCUC & NCSG diversity & participation

Dan Krimm dan at MUSICUNBOUND.COM
Thu Aug 6 20:59:03 CEST 2009

Just quickly:

Even in *developed* countries, non-commercial users/institutions often
don't have much time to *volunteer* to participate, to match the level of
*paid* participation by commercial interests.

While I'm still monitoring this list these days, I have virtually no time
to participate since ending my pro bono work for IP Justice, rewarding
though it was for me at the time.  Heck, I rarely keep up with the flow
here, just sample a few interesting-looking posts from time to time to get
a flavor of what's going on.

The diffuse public interest has always had a collective-action problem to
overcome, that always puts it at a disadvantage compared to better
financed special interests that glean more focused benefits from lobbying
efforts.  Sounds like ICANN staff is actively conspiring to leverage the
collective action problem big-time, these days.

It's truly offensive to hear about these recent developments.  In the past
ICANN seemed merely clumsy and mal-influenced, but now it is appearing
increasingly malicious in its own right.  I wonder what Jon Zittrain
thinks of all this, these days.  ;-)

Good luck fighting this, folks.  I'm sorry I don't have the time to
participate actively, but you *do* represent *me*.  And there are a lot of
folks whom you represent, who don't even have the foggiest idea that
you're representing them.

That's not your fault, or theirs.  It's a structural issue of society at
its deepest levels, and trying to devise a system of governance to address
that issue is something no one has completely figured out yet.  But it
appears that ICANN is actively trying to move away from any such
resolution, and is just making the representational problems worse.

What is infuriating about it is that they seem to know exactly what they
are doing, and are hardly making any excuses for it, even while their
rhetoric seems intended to deflect and distract from it.  In their effort
to reinvent institutional governance in a way that avoids the pitfalls of
political history, they've instead embraced the very worst of political
dynamics.  They seem to have become exactly what they envisioned was their
worst enemy at the outset, justifying their reason for being in the first
place.

How ironic.  Perhaps also, how predictable.  Ka'Plah!

Dan

--
Any opinions expressed in this message are those of the author alone and
do not necessarily reflect any position of the author's employer.