LAST CALL for DOODLING NCUC August Monthly Constituency Meeting (10-16 August)

Norbert Klein nhklein at GMX.NET
Tue Aug 4 12:02:07 CEST 2009

Thanks, Rebecca,

I am - in the NCUC group, probably the one who has almost always had
problems - an sometimes I stay online (and can catch only some peices), and
sometimes it is just oo bad and I drop out.

There were also mostly some nice people who tried to help me during the
meeting - but when the next thick cloud is over Cambodia ("rain degradation
in the Q-Band" or whatever, I am not part of the party again.

Of course it is nice to have a voice conversations program, with separate
participants display - but if it excludes participants, it is bad.

So if we cannot use lower bandwidth software, to have a continuous running
text summary, provided by a person with good connectivity, would be really
helpful.

Norbert

On Tuesday, 4 August 2009 16:02:50 Rebecca MacKinnon wrote:

> Sorry I will be unable to make any meeting next week as I will be off the
> grid.
> I'd like to make one suggestion, however, as NCUC's membership grows to
> include more and more people not living in Western developed
> countries. Global Voices, which has regular online meetings with community
> members and editors all over the world, has generally stuck to IRC because
> holding meetings with anything that takes up more bandwith ended up acting
> as a barrier to participation for people joining from slow or unreliable
> connections in far-flung corners of the globe. The lesson that we have
> taken from almost 5 years trying to run an international grassroots media
> organization in as inclusive a manner as possible is that

! ! !

> inclusiveness
> requires defaulting to meeting technologies that are accessible to those
> whose bandwith is lowest

! ! !

--
If you want to know what is going on in Cambodia, please visit
The Mirror, a regular review of the Cambodian language press in English.

This is the latest weekly editorial:

Different Bits of Information – Questions for All to Consider – Sunday,
1.8.2009
http://tinyurl.com/mlo4dp

(To read it, click on the line above.)

And here is something new every day: