24 August Comment Deadline: Bylaw Amendments Related to Restructuring of the GNSO

Adam Peake ajp at GLOCOM.AC.JP
Tue Aug 18 08:35:54 CEST 2009

As far as the nomcom's concerned the proposed
bylaw amendments are not consistent with the new
GNSO structure, they simply reflect the historic
constituency structure and would obviously also
be unfair to the noncommercial stakeholder group.
Might be another factor in discouraging new
actors from joining the NCSG as it's again seen
as being disadvantaged compared to the other GNSO
stakeholders.

How about proposing GNSO will provide six nomcom
delegates, two from the contracted parties, and
two each from the commercial and noncommercial
SG.  One of non-commercial SG delegates being
selected by the NCUC and the other by the board
until transition is complete when the task passes
to the NCSG (note, this is the status quo for
NCUC and registries/registrars.) Number of GNSO
delegates would be reduced to six.

Would be good to mention something about ensuring
geographic and gender diversity across the GNSO's
delegate selections (hard to implement...)

Travel expenses.

For the three council members the board's selecting now, the SOI document says:

"As stated in the ICANN Bylaws, such support
shall not include an obligation for ICANN to fund
travel expenses incurred by GNSO participants for
travel to any meeting of the GNSO or for any
other purpose. However, ICANN has furnished
travel expenses for appointed Council members to
ICANN meetings. Additional budget funds are also
likely to be made available to support
Constituency development."

Not sure if this is a more certain promise of
travel support than used in the suggested bylaw
amendments, but at least it would be good to
demand that all council members be treated
equally.

Adam