ICANN Must Account for its Math

Rafik Dammak rafik.dammak at GMAIL.COM
Fri Aug 14 21:08:44 CEST 2009

Hi Adam,
I am not expert in policy and maybe my analogy is wrong but the Alan
Greenberg arguments reminds me the discourse that I heard and was hearing
for while in my country and usually in my region to delay democracy
application. the idea is to maintain the statu quo to prevent individuals or
citizens to run affairs and to only defend the interest of minority which in
case of ICANN may be groups of (really narrow) interests. so those countries
select groups which "well represent" the society which in fact mean a group
of people belonging to oligarchy and then to exclude the majority of
citizens. it is amazing to see that individuals are always suspects when
group of declared interest shouldn't be.

I started following ALAC activities since more than two years and my feeling
 ( sorry to say that) that is good example of inefficiency and best way to
avoid civil society to express through a policy of travel expenses etc
(divide and conquer?). many RALO (like AFRALO or LACRALO) don't allow
individuals to join but in case of AFRALO they accept a federation of
associations etc which one of their stated goals is to have a dotmed (for
dot Mediterranean), I am not sure but is it  possible for ALS to have that?
I am not attacking ALAC but just to raise some concerns.

Regards

Rafik