The Failure of Human Cognition

Robin Gross robin at IPJUSTICE.ORG
Wed Aug 12 18:36:38 CEST 2009

The Commercial Stakeholder Group and ICANN staff have convinced the
ICANN Board that NCUC is a "cabal" of a small number of people, who
just won't share power with others.

But the London School of Economics Report, which documented the facts
of the matter in 2006, shows a very different picture in which NCUC
has most number of different people serving on the GNSO Council and
the most turn-over of councilors of any of the 6 constituencies.  In
the time period (2001-2006) NCUC had 15 different people serve on the
GNSO Council.  From 2003-2006 we had 8 changes of GNSO
representatives, while the ISPs had 0 turn-over and the BC only had 1
change in GNSO representation.  Yet they have been able to 'spin it'
like we are the "cabal" of a small number of people who won't share
power.

See the attached table from the LSE Report Appendix.  The LSE Report
was published in 2006, and since then we have continued to have high
turn-over on the GNSO Council (all of our councilors now are in their
1st term on council).

This has been an interesting study in how facts can be entirely
pushed aside when there are enough paid lobbyists whispering lies
into the Board's ears for so long.  After awhile, these lies become
presumed truths, just by virtue of being repeated enough times.
Fascinating study in the failure of human cognition.

Robin

IP JUSTICE
Robin Gross, Executive Director
p: +1-415-553-6261    f: +1-415-462-6451
w: http://www.ipjustice.org     e: robin at ipjustice.org