Draft Letter to ICANN Board & CEO

Dan Krimm dan at MUSICUNBOUND.COM
Wed Aug 12 01:05:18 CEST 2009

Re: administrative justice, I'm not exactly the legal expert around here,
but I do know that the APA (Administrative Procedures Act) applies to US
executive agencies, like the FCC and the NTIA.

The problem with ICANN of course is that its JPA-defined relationship with
NTIA is not entirely clear in terms of oversight, and thus as a QUANGO
(quasi-non-governmental organization that executes certain governmental
functions) it falls into a sort of gray area in the law.

I don't know firsthand, but it may have been explicitly intentional to
create ICANN as a QUANGO in the first place, specifically to try to avoid
the APA provisions.  (I seem to recall that Karl Auerbach has some ideas
about the JPA along these lines, but I don't know how universally accepted
they are.)

IANAL, but if one were to go that route, on the face of it, it would seem
to involve filing a lawsuit against NTIA with regard to APA, in its
oversight of ICANN via the JPA (and thus it might seek to clarify how far
APA applies to QUANGOs, and if it doesn't go all the way then there might
be cause to press politically for new legislation to push the APA into
QUANGO-land jurisdiction?).  But the various lawyers around here would be
better prepared to comment in any detail.  Not least, in terms of the
substantial resources it would take to follow through comprehensively on
any such litigation strategy and/or political legislative strategy.

At the very least, relevant provisions of the APA might well be held up as
a precedent and an example for how ICANN *ought* to operate, given the
significant public governance function it fulfills under (US)
government-granted authority (separate from the role of the GAC).

Dan

--
Any opinions expressed in this message are those of the author alone and
do not necessarily reflect any position of the author's employer.