background on Registry - Registrar separation issue

Robin Gross robin at IPJUSTICE.ORG
Mon Aug 10 23:35:28 CEST 2009

I wanted to share with you all an interesting document on the
Registry - Registrar separation (cross-ownership) issue.
   http://registryregistrarseparation.org/pir-afilias-neustar-letter-
icann#attachments

The first 8 pages of the document is the letter to the ICANN Board
from PIR, Afilias, and Neustar explaining why it might not be in the
public interest to allow Registrars to become Registries.  I have not
heard convincing arguments on the other side of this issue, but am
certainly open to it, and it if anyone has any opinions on this
issue, one way or another, please speak up.

This is an issue coming up at ICANN in the next few months so we
should begin some reading and discussion of this issue so we can take
a constituency position in the coming weeks.

Thanks,
Robin

IP JUSTICE
Robin Gross, Executive Director
p: +1-415-553-6261    f: +1-415-462-6451
w: http://www.ipjustice.org     e: robin at ipjustice.org