ICANN SOI to fill sham noncommercial council seats

Milton L Mueller mueller at SYR.EDU
Fri Aug 7 14:54:58 CEST 2009

>The NCUC does not have membership (or significant
>membership) from international consumer
>organizations (noted in many recent comments from
>the board and others as a missing constituent in
>all of ICANN), nor for the largest academic
>communities, libraries, R&D, etc.

Adam
You are buying too much into the premise that these actions of the Board actually have some basis in the facts about NCUC or concern about public representation.

Libraries? ALA has been a member of NCUC for years. Less active than before, but a member. It is the world's largest library association. The Syracuse U School of Information Studies, which I represent, is the nation's 2-ranked library school. The Library of Alexandria recently joined.

Academics? What is this bullshit about academics not being involved? some of our most active members, e.g. Mary, Carlos, myself are academics. Many universities and law schools are members, from the U.S, Asia, LAC, Europe. Of course there are tens of thousands of universities worldwide, and most of them are not members, but most businesses are not members of CSG, either, and most "users" are not and never will be members of At Large.

Wrt international consumer organizations, I have been personally acquainted with the policy leader of the U.S. Consumers Union since 2003 (Gene Kimmelman), and have often asked/begged/demanded that CU get involved in ICANN. The answer was always the same: it's not related to our priorities. Their refusal to get involved had nothing to do with NCUC. And CU would be LESS likely to get involved in GNSO if it had to organize its own constituency, because that would be an even greater distraction. CU is a national policy-focused organization and simply can't get its leaders interested in global domain name policy, which is a tiny speck on the ocean of policy issues with which it deals.

I recently asked a longtime acquaintance who recently got a job at an International Consumer Organization based in KL to join NCUC. He chuckled and told me that ICANN staff had approached him and his organization repeatedly. ICANN staff even sent a person all the way to KL from Los Angeles (or was it Brussels?) to personally lobby him to get involved. His Board said no. Domain names/ICANN is not their priority, and they are not going to waste time on it. If ICANN staff spends thousands of dollars recruiting a single organizations and fails, you have to realize that the willingness of noncommercial organizations to get involved in domain name policy has nothing to do with any failings of NCUC or ICANN itself. It has to do with with simple fact that DNS is a very narrow, specialized area of policy and accordingly only a tiny, tiny percentage of the world's NGOs will ever get involved.