Having applied and been accepted as a member of NCUC ...

Konstantinos Komaitis k.komaitis at STRATH.AC.UK
Thu Aug 6 15:47:37 CEST 2009

Welcome Avri - it is good to have you back.

Konstantinos

-----Original Message-----
From: Non-Commercial User Constituency [mailto:NCUC-DISCUSS at LISTSERV.SYR.EDU] On Behalf Of Avri Doria
Sent: 06 August 2009 06:13
To: NCUC-DISCUSS at LISTSERV.SYR.EDU
Subject: Having applied and been accepted as a member of NCUC ...

I wanted to make a few comments on why I joined.

I have long been associated with the NCUC at a distance as a member
of, or as someone who donated to, several of the organizations that
belong to the NCUC. But I was never a member and actually did not plan
to become an individual member - I had other plans in mind.

I am joining at this time, however,  not only because I support the
public-interest principles that are the foundation of NCUC, but
because I want to express my solidarity with a Stakeholder Group that
has received short shrift from ICANN in the process of establishing
itself.  The ICANN Board has now approved a Stakeholder Group Charter
that was not created through the bottom-up process but by ICANN Policy
Staff in a top-down manner.  The ICANN Board has also blatantly
ignored the bottom-up process that did occur and the community outrage
that ensued.  I am also disturbed that the requirement for parity and
equal conditions among the 4 Stakeholder Groups, something that was
central to the restructuring plan, has been ignored when it comes to
the NCSG.

At this time, I  think it is important for me as an individual to take
a stand and to be counted with those who were so used and abused by
the ICANN system.  I am proud that my membership was approved and that
I can stand with you all in a continuing struggle to see that the
legitimate bottom-up processes and the will of civil society
participants in ICANN are respected.

I further appreciate that the NCUC has accepted me as a member even
though I am still a Nomcom Appointee to the GNSO Council and as such
still bound to represent the public interest as I understand it and
not necessarily according to NCUC positions; though, of course, often
these two coincide.  As the current chair of the GNSO Council, it also
remains my responsibility to work toward consensus solutions despite
what I may believe is the 'best' solution.  For the remainder of my
term I will continue to function within the council as an NomCom
Appointee and as Chair in the same manner as I have up until now.
That is, I will not be speaking for the NCUC positon in any issues
within the purview of the GNSO Council, but will continue to speak in
my independent capacity.  My term as a member of GNSO council, and as
its chair, ends on 30 October 2009.

Again, I am happy to have joined you.

a.