ICANN's review of geographic regions

Robin Gross robin at IPJUSTICE.ORG
Tue Aug 4 16:43:52 CEST 2009

I agree with Rebecca's suggestion that members take a look at the
document on geographic regions and consider submitting comments if
there are issues of concern to you - and please bring any concerns
back to the group, so we may consider a constituency position if
warranted.  Thank you.

Best,
Robin

On Aug 4, 2009, at 2:26 AM, Rebecca MacKinnon wrote:

> ICANN's review of geographic regions is one of the many issues
> beyond the NCUC charter which should be of concern to civil society
> and non-commercial Internet users.
>
> The document can be found here:
> http://www.icann.org/en/topics/geographic-regions/initial-report-
> geo-regions-review-wg-31jul09-en.pdf
>
> The members of the working group are as follows:
> Adiel Akplogan (CEO, AfriNIC)
> David Archbold (ccNSO member - .ky) Chair
> Fahd Batayneh (ccNSO member - .jo)
> Olga Cavalli (GNSO Council member) Deputy Chair
> Zahid Jamil (GNSO Council member)
> Janis Karklins (GAC Chair)
> Cheryl Langdon-Orr (ALAC Chair)
> Carlton Samuels (LACRALO Secretariat)
> Paul Wilson (Director General, APNIC)
>
> NCUC members from developing countries and states with non-
> democratic regimes in particular may want to examine this reoprt
> and submit comments on whether you think that their recommendations
> make it easier or harder for non-corporate, non-governmental people
> from your region to participate in and influence ICANN.
>
> If people have issues with it, I would suggest that NCUC might
> consider developing a position. However, I think it would be more
> powerful if the substance of that position is not initiated by
> North American or European members of NCUC.
>
> Best,
> Rebecca
>

> --
> Rebecca MacKinnon
> Open Society Fellow | Co-founder, GlobalVoicesOnline.org
> Assistant Professor, Journalism & Media Studies Centre, University
> of Hong Kong
>
> UK: +44-7759-863406
> USA: +1-617-939-3493
> HK: +852-6334-8843
> Mainland China: +86-13710820364
>
> E-mail: rebecca.mackinnon at gmail.com
> Blog: http://RConversation.blogs.com
> Twitter: http://twitter.com/rmack
> Friendfeed: http://friendfeed.com/rebeccamack

IP JUSTICE
Robin Gross, Executive Director
p: +1-415-553-6261    f: +1-415-462-6451
w: http://www.ipjustice.org     e: robin at ipjustice.org