Staff summary of charter public comments

William Drake william.drake at GRADUATEINSTITUTE.CH
Mon Aug 3 16:53:48 CEST 2009

Hi,

Now available for your reading pleasure at http://forum.icann.org/lists/gnso-stakeholder-charters/pdfxiUwB0LQJc.pdf
.  Especially enjoyable is section 1, "The perceived failure by ICANN
to accept the V-NCSG Charter."  "Perceived" is a leitmotif; NCUC's
members and supporters have all just imagined the problems.
Ultimately, the rationale for rejecting NCUC's NCSG charter comes down
to this, "The S-NCSG follows the Board‟s direction that the
Constituency is the primary organizational unit within SGs and, as
such, they are its only legitimate members."  However, this apparently
applies only to our charter, as the Registry and Registrar group
charters do away with "the primary organizational unit within SGs."

Also of interest is this nugget:

"Finally, although the majority of comments were strongly in support
of returning to the original NCUC Charter version, ALAC favored the
SIC‟s NCSG Charter that, “best meets the aims of the new GNSO Model
and the Boards criteria, which we support, and believe is (with the
additional version changes as at July 19th ) being essentially met.”
Continuing in this vein, ALAC noted, “Maturity and development of the
new design GNSO and specifically the parity and viability of the User
House will benefit greatly with the „fresh start‟ this Charter in
our opinion provides and it should be noted that in it we can see that
the opinions and views brought forward in our processes, activities
and meetings on the matter have been recognised, heard and
considered.” "

Which is interesting since there's been almost no discussion within
ALAC since it's last statement on a prior version of the NCUC
proposed, http://forum.icann.org/lists/sg-petitions-charters/msg00020.html
, which noted that there was no ALAC consensus on the matter.  It is
rather unclear on what grounds staff can depict Cheryl's personal
statement as a collective ALAC position, other than political
convenience.

Best,

Bill

William J. Drake