Who owns the Internet? We do!

Dan Krimm dan at MUSICUNBOUND.COM
Sat Apr 18 21:46:07 CEST 2009

I don't disagree that the commercial folks have hijacked ICANN to a large
extent.  That's a given, at this point.

There are various levels of public representation, and sometimes one level
needs to get itself out of the way so that the proper level can handle it.
That may be the best thing for ICANN, in the current context (restrict
itself to genuine technical matters, and punt the other sticky policy
matters to different institutions better designed to address them).

ICANN has the further complication that its status as some sort of
institution of public representation is structurally problematic (is it a
government agency? a private consortium? a hybrid? what legal precedents
*really* govern the authority this institution has?).

The big problem, as I noted, is how we define "we" in institutional terms.
This has been an issue for ICANN since its inception, partly because it was
intentionally created in a "novel" manner so as to fall between the cracks
of well-understood public institutions, to give it more elbow room.  There
was a deep distrust of public government among those who created ICANN, and
they somehow thought they could do a better job by sort of "starting over"
with something they had more room to invent anew.

Unfortunately, public governance in the real world is a lot harder than
those who are not experienced with it often realize.  There are a lot of
myths about how public governance works (and doesn't work) that have less
to do with reality than with ideology.  IMHO that led ICANN to bite off
more than it could chew, in structural terms (because they thought it would
really be just about technical matters, and missed the potential to bleed
into other policy areas where real consensus is rare).  This idea of
modeling public governance on the IETF model seems to me an elementary
mistake made by relatively inexperienced people who thought they could do
better than "the professionals" who screwed up public institutions.

But the reason public governance is screwed up has less to do with
structure than with the power dynamics that leverage that structure, and
you can't get rid of the power dynamics by changing the structure.
Ideally, you want a structure that minimizes the damage that power dynamics
can do (things like separation of powers, checks and balances,
transparency, accountability of those who govern to those who are
governed), but the IETF model is not appropriate to such circumstances
where consensus is increasingly difficult to reach, and the public stakes
increasingly important beyond the narrow world of private commercial
competition.

I don't see a simple answer to this conundrum.  Re-jiggering ICANN's
constituency balance in a fairer manner is probably/potentially helpful.
But really, the whole thing needs a soup-to-nuts overhaul in every way,
because it has turned into a Frankenstein Monster of jerry-rigged patchwork
that explicitly lacks the sort of structural controls that make public
governance at all plausible as a way to represent the interests of the
broadest public.

Simply laying claim to the Internet as "we" doesn't begin to address the
real structural issues at ICANN.  It's a point that I would think everyone
at NCUC agrees on already.  But what would it mean in detail to try to
implement that idea?  The devil is in the details, as everyone here knows
well enough.

Dan

--
Any opinions expressed in this message are those of the author alone and do
not necessarily reflect any position of the author's employer.