Who owns the Internet? We do!

Dan Krimm dan at MUSICUNBOUND.COM
Sat Apr 18 20:45:26 CEST 2009

I've been mostly lurking here since moving on from my work with IP Justice,
but the core of this idea seems sound, even for those of us who approach
policy from a stance separate from (but not necessarily in conflict with)
the spiritual experience.

In economic terms, the precedent exists in infrastructure we often call
"public utilities" (these can be services delivered directly by [local]
government, or in a broader sense, services delivered by private companies
but regulated by government in the public interest).  This often occurs in
the realm of so-called "natural monopolies" where the structure of the
market (high start-up costs, ever-lowering marginal costs) leads to
incentives to have a single service provider (basically because duplicate
or non-interfacing infrastructures are wasteful or less effective, and in
some cases unnecessarily intrusive on public property).

The main point here is that the Internet is no longer "an option" in order
to live a productive life in the 21st Century Technological Society, any
more than recusing oneself from centralized water delivery, electricity
delivery, natural gas, and sewer systems.  Yes, you could carry water up
from a river, burn a wood generator for electricity, purchase propane from
retail stores, have an individual septic system, but these are far less
efficient means of delivering these services than the central services,
especially in urban contexts, and a modern society relies on the
centralized infrastructure to lubricate the economy.

The Internet surely represents a similar advance in communication
infrastructure, and should be viewed in similar ways.

In particular, it should be viewed as a proper domain of public regulation
in the public interest.  And in my view, one of the primary public
interests here is the general principle of "common carriage" which has
precedents in public infrastructure for transportation (bridges, ferries,
roads), but also extends to information services such as telephone and
cable television service (yes, it already extends to telecommunications
services in other technological domains).

So I would argue that the public as a whole has a right to regulate such
services to protect such public interests, even when specific services are
owned and delivered privately.

As for what institutions have standing to represent the public interest,
well, that's a different question.  I personally would want to require some
structural accountability to the general public (not just one subset of the
public, and not on condition of tangential criteria of membership) in order
for any relevant institution to have such standing.

Structuring such accountability is the chief challenge confronting ICANN,
and getting it right (or at least less wrong) seems more important than
ever.  The big question is, who is "we" and how is "we" defined in legal
and representative terms?

Dan

--
Any opinions expressed in this message are those of the author alone and do
not necessarily reflect any position of the author's employer.