IP Constituency Urges ICANN Board to Deny 6 Council Seats to NonCommercial Stakeholders Group

William Drake william.drake at GRADUATEINSTITUTE.CH
Wed Apr 15 23:16:06 CEST 2009

Robin,

Nice that they waited until the last minute to submit this, without
ever seeking a discussion with us in any setting.

What's the precise cut off time for comments?  It's what, 2pm in
California, so there is some time before COB.  If you have a little
head space, why not write a short critique of the CSG Charter, such
that it is?  It's after 11pm here and I can't type any more today, but
I'd support whatever you come up with.  There's plenty to complain
about starting with the first para, which claims the CSC represents
"users;" the restrictive membership construction (e.g. how many
individual entrepreneurs do they have, how representative, diverse,
and "deserving" are they); and complete lack of clarity and
development in their draft about essentially all institutional aspects
(all those high-paid lawyers and this is the best they can do?), a
point that should be hammered. Perhaps a new council shouldn't be
seated until they clarify how they will select six reflecting the
criteria we are alleged not to meet.

Just a thought.

Bill

On Apr 15, 2009, at 10:45 PM, Robin Gross wrote:

> The IP Constituency submitted its comments today on the stakeholder
> group petitions.
>
> See:
>    http://forum.icann.org/lists/sg-petitions-charters/
> pdfyb62GoZM3w.pdf
>
> It calls on the ICANN Board to deny the Non-Commercial Stakeholder
> Group its rightful 6 council seats, claiming we aren't
> "representative" enough.  The IPC complains because our counselors
> will remain seated after June (but doesn't mention that its own
> counselors will also remain seated).  In fact, it didn't make any
> comments on its own proposals - it is only a slam on all non-
> commercial users proposals.
>
> Wow.  They really are desperate with this move.
>
> Robin
>

> IP JUSTICE
> Robin Gross, Executive Director
> p: +1-415-553-6261    f: +1-415-462-6451
> w: http://www.ipjustice.org     e: robin at ipjustice.org

William J. Drake
Senior Associate
Centre for International Governance
Graduate Institute of International and
   Development Studies
Geneva, Switzerland
william.drake at graduateinstitute.ch
New book: Governing Global Electronic Networks,
http://tinyurl.com/5mh9jj