Fwd: [council] Fwd: Redemption Grace Period and associated rights

Robin Gross robin at IPJUSTICE.ORG
Tue Sep 30 19:37:36 CEST 2008

Hi Adam,

I meant the registration of the domain name expired without the
person's having realized it.  Some registrars are better than others
at letting customers know when a registration will expire.

It would be interesting to know what different registrars charge
customers during the "redemption" period - that would be a useful
piece of info when shopping around for a registrar.

Robin

On Sep 26, 2008, at 1:36 AM, Adam Peake wrote:

> Robin, Hi.
>
> What does "inadvertently lapsed re-registration" mean... Didn't
> understand the terms of the agreement with the registrar. Forgot.
> Missed the emails and perhaps faxed reminders (one of my registrars
> sends me a fax when I don't reply and expiry date nears.)
>
> Once out of the automated re-registration system and a person's
> involved the registrar will be incurring quite heavy costs. And if
> your friend's name is a short string or real word/words then seems
> the registrar might be being helpful with their warnings about
> possible future costs (perhaps,don't know the name, etc.)
>
> That said, I do think there need to be checks made that earlier
> consensus policy has been implemented and registrants made aware of
> renewal and delete policy.
>
> And I support ALAC's efforts to begin a PDP process on redemption
> grace and hope the NCUC will also in the GNSO.
>
> Adam  (personal opinion, not yet an ALAC member.)
>

>> NCUC:
>>
>> As I told Alan Greenberg on the GNSO call this AM, NCUC is
>> interested to work with ALAC on this initiative (see email below)
>> on the Redemption Grace Period.
>>
>> Just recently, this problem was brought to my attention by a
>> friend who was being pressured by a registrar for high fees to get
>> his domain name back in this period.  After the domain name (which
>> had been held for many years) inadvertently lapsed re-
>> registration, the registrar wanted to charge him $85 to get his
>> domain back.    My friend balked at the high price and asked if he
>> could wait for it to be available again to the public and register
>> it at a competitive price ($14), but was told it could be up to 90
>> days before it will be made available to the public again by the
>> registrar.  He said the registrar was intentionally trying to
>> stoke his fear that he would lose his domain if he did not pay the
>> $85 to renew it in this redemption period.  The registrar told him
>> someone else could get the domain the minute it is available to
>> the public and then he'd have to pay thousands of dollars to get
>> it back.
>>
>> It seems like some registrars are able to extort exorbitant fees
>> out of domain name registrants by virtue of their position of the
>> domain name distribution chain.
>>
>> Are there others in NCUC interested in this issue of the
>> redemption grace period and with working with ALAC and others to
>> address it?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Robin
>>

>> Begin forwarded message: