Nominations for NCUC Chair and GNSO Council

Milton L Mueller mueller at SYR.EDU
Mon Sep 22 18:08:54 CEST 2008

Good question, Carlos. For the first three seats, we will follow our
existing charter: each of the three must be from a different region. So
since we already have a LAC Council rep (you) and since Robin is
stepping down and Norbert MAY step down, the first two additions could
come from:

Africa
Asia-Pacific**
North America
Europe

For the additional three, it is unclear until we adopt a new set of
rules. I would propose that we get as many candidates from as many
regions as possible running and we see how strong and how popular (how
many votes) the candidates are.

**Norbert Klein (AP region) is in a discretionary position, which is to
our advantage. He has the option to serve out his existing term, or to
resign early because of the Nomcom appointment. Suppose a good candidate
from AP region comes along, and gets a significant number of votes. If
Norbert wants to escape the Council, he could leave immediately, or stay
in office from October to January (or whenever the change to the new,
6-person Council is made) then he could resign and we could appoint the
new person from AP. In the transition period (October - January) Norbert
could be "educating" the new person about how the Council works. Suppose
on the other hand we get no volunteers from AP region or the ones we
get, do not get many votes relative to candidates from other regions.
Then Norbert could stay on until the end of his term.

Milton Mueller
Professor, Syracuse University School of Information Studies
XS4All Professor, Delft University of Technology
Internet Governance Project:
http://internetgovernance.org