IDN registrations through intimidation?

Mary Wong mwong at PIERCELAW.EDU
Fri Oct 31 20:45:58 CET 2008

Dear all,

I'm afraid that this is a scam or at least an overt ploy to either (1)
scare the recipient into registering variants of Chinese domain names,
or (2) fish for information about the recipient's business operations.
The WHOIS record for the domain 87global.hk shows it as being online for
under 2 months, and if the "company's" website is to be believed, it
does practically everything doable - from IT outsourcing to network
provider solutions and website hosting (not to mention domain name
registration). It also - oddly - has only the Inter-Registrar Dispute
Resolution Policy on its "Dispute Resolution" page.

Konstantinos, I think it best that your friend discontinue all further
communications with these folks and add them to his "spammers' block"
list.

Cheers
Mary

>>> Konstantinos Komaitis <k.komaitis at STRATH.AC.UK> 10/31/08 10:56 AM

I am not sure Adam, I couldn't find them at ICANN's list of registrars-
however, if you log on to their site they provide an ICANN logo, which
in case they are not it is completely misleading. The company's name
appears to be 87global.

Konstantinos

Dr. Konstantinos Komaitis

Lecturer in IT&T Law, Panellist,
Chair Membership Committee,
Global Internet Governance Academic Network,
University of Strathclyde,
The Law School,
141 St James Road,
Glasgow G4 0LT.