Proposed new NCSG structure

Cheryl Preston prestonc at LAWGATE.BYU.EDU
Mon Oct 13 23:02:35 CEST 2008

Further, do you intend that the 6 council reps, who are elected by
popular vote of the full NCSG based on the given vote weight, will also
be on the EC?  If so, if the NCUC group controls the votes of the whole
group, and thus elects the 6 council members and the chair, then it
would take at least 7 new constituency representatives to affect the EC
votes.  That does not seem reasonable.

Cheryl B. Preston
Edwin M. Thomas
Professor of Law
J. Reuben Clark Law School
Brigham Young University
424 JRCB
Provo, UT  84602
(801) 422-2312
prestonc at lawgate.byu.edu
>>> Robin Gross <robin at IPJUSTICE.ORG> 10/11/08 9:17 AM >>>
Hi Milton,

Thanks for posting this.  It looks like a solid direction for us to
head in to manage this transition.

So should all existing members of NCUC "join" (or "form") a
constituency within the new stake-holder group?

Thanks much,
Robin

On Oct 9, 2008, at 1:13 AM, Milton L Mueller wrote:

> [...]
>             Large organization – 4 votes
>             Small organization – 2 votes
>             Individuals – 1 vote
> No membership dues, but renewal required bi-annually
> Chair and GNSO Council reps elected by NCSG members
>
> Officers
> Chair – same duties as NCUC chair
> 6 GNSO Council representatives elected by NCSG
> Executive Committee (EC)
> Consists of Chair, 1 delegate from each constituency, Council
> representatives
>             Constituencies represented by their own chair/delegate
>
> Constituencies
> Constituencies are self-defined groups organized around some
> distinctive policy perspective (e.g. consumer protection, privacy);
> shared identity (e.g., region or country of origin, gender,
> language group); a type of organization (e.g., research networks,
> philanthropic foundations) or any other grouping principle that
> might affect its stance on gtld policy.
> Each constituency sets its own eligibility criteria
> Constituencies have a right to:
> x    Place one rep on the executive committee
> x    Delegate members to working groups
> x    Issue statements on PDPs which are included in the official
> NCSG response, but marked as constituency positions, not
> necessarily the position of NCSG as a whole
>
> To be recognized as a constituency a group must be supported by at
> least 5 people who are already NCSG members, appoint an organizer
> (chair) and submit a charter. Steps:
> 1)      A prospective constituency organizer issues a notification
> of intent to form a constituency to the entire NCSG via its email list
> 2)      When 5 or more NCSG members volunteer to join the NCSG on
> the public list it becomes eligible to schedule a meeting (which
> can be either in person or online)
> 3)      The eligible constituency > charter. The charter defines its grouping principle, eligibility
> criteria, and procedures. The meetings also designate a
> constituency chair, and other officers if so desired.
> 4)      The charter is submitted to the NCSG EC for ratification.
> Ratification is based exclusively on due diligence whether there
> are really at least 5 members, whether the constituency’s
> eligibility rules or procedures contravene NCSG charter in some way
>
> Current members of NCUC are automatically made members of NCSG, but
> NCUC dissolves as a constituency once this proposal is adopted.
>
> NCSG members can join any constituency, provided that they meet the
> constituency’s own eligibility criteria.
> Should we allow constituencies to exclude based on criteria? I
> propose yes – otherwise constituencies are meaningless
> Should we allow members to join more than one constituency? I
> propose yes, as long as voting for council seats and chair is NCSG-
> wide.
>
> Constituencies keep track of their own membership, but members
> should reflect their status on the official NCSG social network
> site. Status is reviewed by the EC bi-annually to see if they still

IP JUSTICE
Robin Gross, Executive Director
p: +1-415-553-6261    f: +1-415-462-6451
w: http://www.ipjustice.org     e: robin at ipjustice.org