Fwd: [council] Council meeting: New gTLD Update

Robin Gross robin at IPJUSTICE.ORG
Fri Oct 3 03:45:58 CEST 2008

Governments (like all entrenched interests) want special rights to
new generic top-level domains.   The Cairo meeting will be an
important meeting.  See below.

Robin

Begin forwarded message:

> From: Kurt Pritz <kurt.pritz at icann.org>
> Date: October 2, 2008 6:06:55 PM PDT
> To: Council GNSO <council at gnso.icann.org>
> Subject: [council] Council meeting: New gTLD Update
>
> Council Members:
>
> Thank you for the opportunity on last week's Council call to
> provide information regarding the current state of implementation
> planning for the GNSO's new gTLD policy recommendations. I thought
> I would take few minutes of your time to reiterate some of the
> points made during our discussion and indicate possible paths for
> Council and community discussion.
>
> As you may recall, one of the items described during the Council
> call was a recent discussion with the GAC to obtain a better
> understanding of the issues raised in their policy advice to the
> ICANN Board: "GAC Principles Regarding New gTLDs."  In that meeting
> (and earlier ones in Delhi and Paris), GAC members provided some
> detail as to the expectations of
> governments and the possible protections to be afforded to
> geographical names in the new gTLD application and evaluation process.
>
> As a result of those consultations, ICANN will post two documents.
> The first will be a letter from Paul Twomey to GAC Chair Janis
> Karklins that: (1) repeats back the meeting  discussion points in
> order to ensure understanding; (2) provides a potential model for
> going ahead with some of the protections the government
> representatives are requesting; and (3) describes areas where
> requested protections would be problematic to implement or enforce.
> The second document, for public  comment, review and modification,
> is the upcoming draft of the new gTLD "RFP" - the guidebook that
> will be provided to potential applicants. The RFP will also
> describe some of those potential protections.
>
> Those documents are being presented for public discussion and do
> not represent a final implementation model.
>
> The documents are intended to highlight discrepancies between the
> report of the GNSO Reserved Names working group and the GAC advice
> to the Board by describing potential implementation details. I.e.,
> creating potential operational processes brings to light more
> clearly issues for implementation discussion.  They will inform a
> discussion in Cairo where there will be opportunity for additional
> consultations with the GAC and the GNSO.
>
> The draft RFP will be posted and discussed in Cairo, and will be
> modified through public dialogue. It is planned that the draft RFP
> will be revised and posted again before a final version is posted
> for ICANN Board approval. The Board will be informed by this
> upcoming dialogue as it considers the final implementation model of
> the completed and approved GNSO policy recommendation for approval.
>
> Sorry this took so long to describe (I thought the note would be
> shorter.) I hope the intent and meaning are clear. Denise or I
> would be happy to answer any questions you might have.
>
> Thanks for your time & regards,

> [...]

IP JUSTICE
Robin Gross, Executive Director
p: +1-415-553-6261    f: +1-415-462-6451
w: http://www.ipjustice.org     e: robin at ipjustice.org