Charters

Konstantinos Komaitis k.komaitis at STRATH.AC.UK
Sun Nov 30 20:12:49 CET 2008

Dear all,

First of all let me in turn welcome all new members to the NCUC team and to
say that I am looking forward to working with all of you.
I would like at this stage to echo Milton¹s comments on the new proposed
charter. There have been various emails amongst the members of this list and
we have all agreed on the version of the charter that was submitted to the
GNSO for approval. Cheryl¹s proposal came in too late to be considered and
did not receive any support from any of the members of the group (at least a
visible support from the emails that we have so far received). The final
version was an outcome of long discussions and had to comply with ICANN
policy. Some of you may correctly think that ICANN is not an open
organization, however this has nothing to do with the proposed charter. The
NCUC ­ as a team ­ really tries to put forward various proposals and make
our voices heard and to a certain extent this is happening. However, it is
very difficult (as you will also realize yourselves) to change a culture
that has been taking place for many years now; we are showing though good
signs and it is rather unfair to downplay the important role that the NCUC
has played so far.
As per ICANN, the decisions in the NCUC are taken based on consensus which
is a perfectly legitimate way to go. It is very good (and important) to have
different opinions but ,if these do not get the desired support, it is
nobody¹s fault. We are employing democratic processes and I can guarantee
this to our new members.
Therefore, to cut the long story short, the new version of the charter was
the position that the majority of the NCUC has taken and does not reflect
individual preferences of thoughts.

Regards

Konstantinos

--