Charters

Milton L Mueller mueller at SYR.EDU
Sun Nov 30 19:31:40 CET 2008

Nancy,

Let me reiterate what I just wrote to Ralph Clifford. There are not "two
drafts" at this stage. There is one NCUC draft, which was accepted by
the constituency and was submitted to the Board November 24. That draft
is now being reviewed by the staff and the Board Governance Committee.
Cheryl's ideas may play a role _after_ we receive feedback from the
Board and staff, but her draft has no standing at this stage. You cannot
submit an "alternative draft" one day after the official, constituency
draft has been submitted to the Board and expect it to have the same
status as the real proposal.

I understand that members who were added to our discussions November 6
may have trouble making sense of a process that began in May 2008 and
concluded November 24, but I hope you can also understand that that's an
unavoidable aspect of adding new members. The thing to do now is to wait
until we receive feedback and then propose amendments. And they must be
framed as _amendments_ to the draft we are actually working on, not as
completely new things drafted de novo. I am sure many of us would like
to prepare our own wish lists, but we have an entire constituency to
satisfy, not just one member, or a small subset of members.

--MM

From: Non-Commercial User Constituency
[mailto:NCUC-DISCUSS at LISTSERV.SYR.EDU] On Behalf Of Kim, Nancy

I also agree with Professor Clifford and Professor Garon.  The silence
from the new members may have simply been that we were trying to make
sense of the two drafts before joining in the discussion.