GNSO representation & WHOIS

Norbert Klein nhklein at GMX.NET
Sun Nov 23 20:00:25 CET 2008

Just for the history of it: The GNSO Council had voted against studies - after
we had thought we had put the whole WHOIS clarification process to rest with
a majority vote - defining the WHOIS database according to its original
functions: a technical reference tool.

Then came the requests to look into some details again - basically security
and law enforcement related - and some of us thought our votes had clarified
what could be clarified - hen came the next step: why not clarify these
questions with studies - and we should say which studies might be useful.

To my surprise, this resulted again in a long list, which was re-organized and
prioritized - but often not showing the real practical implications (as
Milton gave an example).

So I suggest to focus on essentials: privacy and openness (law enforcement has
its own mechanisms, this is NOT in the ICANN mandate).

Norbert

 =

--
Norbert Klein
Phnom Penh/Cambodia

If you want to know what is going on in Cambodia, please visit us regularly -
you can find something new every day:

http://cambodiamirror.wordpress.com (English)
http://kanhchoksangkum.wordpress.com (Khmer)